The Chocie of Optimal Protection and Oligopoly: Import Tariffs vs Production Subsidies
AbstractThis paper analyzes the choice of import tariffs and production subsidies to provide optimal protection of domestic industry in the presence of oligopolistic competition, provided that there is a difference in costs between domestic and foreign firms. We show that the choice of optimal protection depends both on the difference in firms' costs and the relative number of firms across countries. First, in the case that the number of foreign firms is larger, an optimal protection is a production subsidy, regardless of the difference in costs. Second, in the case that the number of foreign firms is equal to, or less than that of domestic firms, an import tariff provides optimal protection if the difference in costs is large, while a production subsidy provides optimal protection if the differece in costs is small.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 19.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: Oct 1997
Date of revision: Oct 1997
Publication status: Published in the Japanese Economic Review, 2002, vol. 53, issue 3. pp. 301-314.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1-155 Uegahara Ichiban-cho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 662-8501
Web page: http://www-econ.kwansei.ac.jp/~econ/index_e.html
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, Avinash, 1984. "International Trade Policy for Oligopolistic Industries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(376a), pages 1-16, Supplemen.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1985.
"Export subsidies and international market share rivalry,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 83-100, February.
- James A. Brander & Barbara J. Spencer, 1984. "Export Subsidies and International Market Share Rivalry," NBER Working Papers 1464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Toshihiro Okada).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.