On the Stability of Balanced Growth
AbstractCommon folklore in growth theory suggests that the stability of balanced growth paths in the capital-labor space is essentially guaranteed by conditions which imply stability of the corresponding steady states of the models in intensity form. We show by means of simple examples that, in general, these well-known conditions are only necessary. For a class of deterministic growth models with discrete time we provide new structural insights into the nature of this phenomenon by stating additional requirements that ensure stability of balanced growth paths in the original capital-labor space. We introduce a notion of path-wise convergence for stochastic growth models and generalize our sufficient conditions to the stochastic case.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Research, Keele University in its series Keele Economics Research Papers with number KERP 2007/09.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, University of Keele, Keele, Staffordshire, ST5 5BG - United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (0)1782 584581
Fax: +44 (0)1782 717577
Web page: http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/ec/cer/
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Centre for Economic Research, Research Institute for Public Policy and Management, Keele University, Staffordshire ST5 5BG - United Kingdom
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2007-09-24 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MAC-2007-09-24 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thorsten Pampel, 2009. "On the Dynamics of Basic Growth Models: Ratio Stability vs. Convergence and Divergence in State Space," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 10, pages 384-400, November.
- Palmisani, Cesare, 2008. "Una rassegna su alcuni modelli di crescita economica tipo Solow con dinamica caotica," MPRA Paper 9506, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martin E. Diedrich) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Martin E. Diedrich to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.