Efficiency and seasonality in the UK housing market, 1991-2001
AbstractThis paper considers the informational efficiency of the UK owner-occupied housing market over the period 1991-2001. Original small-area, monthly, house price index series are developed from raw housing transactions observations for a number of UK counties and cities. These series are then tested for characteristics indicative of weak market efficiency and seasonality. The major conclusions drawn are that there exists little evidence to support notions of inefficiency in these markets for this period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Research, Keele University in its series Keele Economics Research Papers with number KERP 2004/05.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Volume 68, Issue 3, pages 289-318, June 2006. [ doi:10.1111/j.1468-0084.2006.00163.x ]
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, University of Keele, Keele, Staffordshire, ST5 5BG - United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (0)1782 584581
Fax: +44 (0)1782 717577
Web page: http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/ec/cer/
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Centre for Economic Research, Research Institute for Public Policy and Management, Keele University, Staffordshire ST5 5BG - United Kingdom
Other versions of this item:
- Leslie Rosenthal, 2006. "Efficiency and Seasonality in the UK Housing Market, 1991-2001," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(3), pages 289-317, 06.
- R31 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Housing Supply and Markets
- R20 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - General
- R10 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-05-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2006-05-13 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-GEO-2006-05-13 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-URE-2006-05-13 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Silvana Tenreyro & Rachel Ngai, 2009.
"Hot And Cold Seasons in the Housing Market,"
2009 Meeting Papers
955, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Silvana Tenreyro, 2009. "Hot and Cold Seasons in the Housing Market," CEP Discussion Papers dp0922, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ngai, Liwa Rachel & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2013. "Hot and Cold Seasons in the Housing Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 9427, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Silvana Tenreyro, 2013. "Hot and cold seasons in the housing market," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 54251, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- L.Rachel Ngai & Silvana Tenreyro, 2008. "Hot and cold seasons in the housing markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 4994, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Silvana Tenreyro, 2009. "Hot and cold seasons in the housing market," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25497, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- de Wit, Erik R. & Englund, Peter & Francke, Marc K., 2013. "Price and transaction volume in the Dutch housing market," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 220-241.
- Holly, Sean & Hashem Pesaran, M. & Yamagata, Takashi, 2011. "The spatial and temporal diffusion of house prices in the UK," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 2-23, January.
- John Muellbauer & Gavin Cameron & John Muellbauer, 2006.
"Was There A British House Price Bubble? Evidence from a Regional Panel,"
Economics Series Working Papers
276, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Cameron, Gavin & Muellbauer, John & Murphy, Anthony, 2006. "Was There A British House Price Bubble? Evidence From A Regional Panel," ERES eres2006_150, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
- Cameron, Gavin & Muellbauer, John & Murphy, Anthony, 2006. "Was There a British House Price Bubble? Evidence from a Regional Panel," CEPR Discussion Papers 5619, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gunther Maier & Shanaka Herath, 2009. "Real Estate Market Efficiency: A Survey of Literature," SRE-Disc sre-disc-2009_07, Institute for the Environment and Regional Development, Department of Socioeconomics, Vienna University of Economics and Business.
- Felix Schindler, 2013. "Predictability and Persistence of the Price Movements of the S&P/Case-Shiller House Price Indices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 44-90, January.
- Erik R. de Wit & Peter Englund & Marc Francke, 2010. "Price and Transaction Volume in the Dutch Housing Market," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 10-039/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Felix Schindler, 2014. "Persistence and Predictability in UK House Price Movements," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 48(1), pages 132-163, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martin E. Diedrich) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Martin E. Diedrich to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.