Intra-Sectoral Structural Change and Aggregate Productivity Development. A Robust Stochastic Nonparametric Frontier Function Approach
AbstractThis paper investigates the sources of total factor productivity growth in the German manu- facturing sector, 1981-1998. Decomposition formulae for aggregate productivity growth are used to identify the effects of structural change and entry-exit on aggregate productivity growth. Documented is a substantial rise of productivity growth after the German reunifica- tion. The bulk of this rise can be attributed to structural change and entry-exit. Two methodo- logical refinements are implemented, the first is the application of a robust stochastic non- parametric approach to frontier function analysis and the second is the calculation of boot- strap confidence intervals for the components of the productivity decompositions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics in its series Jena Economic Research Papers with number 2008-038.
Date of creation: 06 May 2008
Date of revision:
productivity decomposition; structural change; manufacturing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-05-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2008-05-31 (Business Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2008-05-31 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENT-2008-05-31 (Entrepreneurship)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Markus Pasche).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.