Functional Chains of Knowledge Management - Effects on Firms' Innovative Performance
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to investigate the role of Knowledge Management (KM) for the innovation success of firms. It is assumed that the functional chains of KM lead directly and indirectly to more innovative success via enhancing the recombination of internal and external knowledge assets. To analyse the embedding of KM in a firm's internal system of innovation we establish a structural equation model. We capture KM as latent concept and trace different functional chains by which KM impacts. Using data on KM and innovation success of 351 German firms of the manufacturing sector and knowledge-intensive services located in Thuringia and Hesse, our findings confirm the (dynamic) capability function of KM, which leads via improving exploitation of internal and external innovation assets to more innovation success.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics in its series Jena Economic Research Papers with number 2007-080.
Date of creation: 05 Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Knowledge management; innovation; absorptive capacity; resource-based view; structural equation modelling;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-11-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2007-11-10 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2007-11-10 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2007-11-10 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENT-2007-11-10 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2007-11-10 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2007-11-10 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-KNM-2007-11-10 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chatterjee, Sidharta, 2010. "Organizational Learning Strategies of Start-up Firms; Creating the Office Of Strategic Thinking (OST)," MPRA Paper 25536, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Markus Pasche).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.