Growth and public finance in Bihar
AbstractThis paper explores the causal links between the role of public finance and Bihar's growth and development in the last decade; and argues that these links are tenuous. Bihar's growth acceleration precedes the â€˜policy reforms' in public finance based on the â€˜good governance' agenda initiated since 2005-06. However, the constraints on sustaining efforts to close Bihar's development gap with the rest of India stems from the nature of the growth process in its regional, sectoral and social dimensions and the contradictory means and ends of the â€˜policy reforms' in public finance. Together, this has not only prevented the economic growth to add to public coiffeurs of the state but also occluded the role of tax institutions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO) in its series IDE Discussion Papers with number 331.
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in IDE Discussion Paper. No. 331. 2012.3
Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O20 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - General
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- P41 - Economic Systems - - Other Economic Systems - - - Planning, Coordination, and Reform
- P43 - Economic Systems - - Other Economic Systems - - - Finance; Public Finance
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2012-05-02 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEV-2012-05-02 (Development)
- NEP-FDG-2012-05-02 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-PBE-2012-05-02 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Surajit Mazumdar, 2010.
"Industry and Services in Growth and Structural Change in India: Some Unexplored Features,"
1002, Institute for Studies in Industrial Development (ISID).
- Mazumdar, Surajit, 2010. "Industry and services in growth and structural change in India: some unexplored features," MPRA Paper 20401, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Kobayashi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.