Globalization and productivity : a survey of firm-level analysis
AbstractRecent empirical studies which utilize plant- or establishment-level data to examine globalization's impact on productivity have discovered many causal mechanisms involved in globalization's impact on firms' productivity. Since these pathways have been broad, there have been few attempts to summarize the several and detailed mechanisms of self-selection and learning at the same time. This paper examines seven pathways so that the clear-cut consequences of the broad picture of globalization become visible. This strategy is useful for detecting missing links within and across the existing studies as well as for finding possible synergy effects among different mechanisms. Insightful policy implications may be derived from the comprehensive comparisons between the seven different pathways of globalization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO) in its series IDE Discussion Papers with number 252.
Date of creation: Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in IDE Discussion Paper. No. 252. 2010.8
Postal: Publication Office, IDE 3-2-2 Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN
Other versions of this item:
- Kazunobu Hayakawa & Tomohiro Machikita & Fukunari Kimura, 2012. "Globalization And Productivity: A Survey Of Firm‐Level Analysis," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 332-350, 04.
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2010-12-11 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-IFN-2010-12-11 (International Finance)
- NEP-OPM-2010-12-11 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kazunobu HAYAKAWA & Toshiyuki MATSUURA, 2014. "Dynamic Two-way Relationship between Exporting and Importing: Evidence from Japan," Working Papers DP-2014-08, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Flora BELLONE & KIYOTA Kozo & MATSUURA Toshiyuki & Patrick MUSSO & Lionel NESTA, 2013.
"International Productivity Gaps and the Export Status of Firms: Evidence from France and Japan,"
13011, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Flora Bellone & Kozo Kiyota & Toshiyuki Matsuura & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta, 2012. "International Productivity Gaps and the Export Status of Firms: Evidence from France and Japan," GREDEG Working Papers 2012-07, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis, revised Jan 2014.
- Joachim Wagner, 2011.
"International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
210, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Joachim Wagner, 2012. "International trade and firm performance: a survey of empirical studies since 2006," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 235-267, June.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2011. "International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006," IZA Discussion Papers 5916, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Merino, Fernando, 2012. "Firms' internationalization and productivity growth," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(4), pages 349-354.
- Ueki, Yasushi, 2014. "Trade obstacles, inventory level of inputs, and internationalization of enterprise activities : a comparison between Southeast Asia and Latin America," IDE Discussion Papers 474, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Hayakawa, Kazunobu, 2012. "Impacts of FTA utilization on firm performance," IDE Discussion Papers 366, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- TANAKA Kiyoyasu, 2013. "Firm Heterogeneity and FDI in Distribution Services," Discussion papers 13027, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Valeria Gattai & Valentina Trovato, 2014. "Estimating sourcing premia with Italian regional data," Working Papers 276, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2014.
- Fernando Merino & Joaquín Monreal-Pérez & Gregorio Sánchez-Marín, 2012. "Family Firm Internationalization: Influence of Familiness on the Spanish Firm Export Activity," Kiel Working Papers 1770, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Tomohiro MACHIKITA & Yasushi UEKI, 2013. "Who Disseminates Technology to Whom, How, and Why: Evidence from Buyer-Seller Business Networks," Working Papers DP-2013-26, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Kobayashi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.