Internationalization Of German Companies Into The Chinese Market - An Event Study On The Consequences On Financial Performance From A Rbv Perspective
AbstractAfter its economic opening in 1978, China has become more and more attractive for foreign direct investments and has developed into a strong internationalization target for other countries. This study analyzes the internationalization-performance relationship of German companies entering the Chinese market. The analysis is carried out for a sample of 257 announcements of the internationalization of German firms into China between 1978 and 2005. The event study methodology is used to measure the German stock market reaction to this event in order to enable a conclusion on the creation or destruction of share-holder value of German firms internationalizing into China.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, School of Economics and Business Administration in its series Jena Research Papers in Business and Economics - Working and Discussion Papers with number 26/2007.
Date of creation: 21 Dec 2007
Date of revision:
Postal: If a paper is not downloadable, please contact the author(s) or the library of University of Jena, not the archive maintainer.
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2008-02-16 (China)
- NEP-CSE-2008-02-16 (Economics of Strategic Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lenn Gomes & Kannan Ramaswamy, 1999. "An Empirical Examination of the Form of the Relationship Between Multinationality and Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 173-187, March.
- Lu, Yadong, 1998. "Joint venture success in China: How should we select a good partner?," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 145-166, July.
- N Capar & M Kotabe, 2003. "The relationship between international diversification and performance in service firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(4), pages 345-355, July.
- Hennart, J.-F.M.A., 1989. "Transaction costs theory of equity joint ventures," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-175839, Tilburg University.
- Zahra, Shaker A. & Covin, Jeffrey G., 1995. "Contextual influences on the corporate entrepreneurship-performance relationship: A longitudinal analysis," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 43-58, January.
- Morck, Randall & Yeung, Bernard, 1991.
"Why Investors Value Multinationality,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 64(2), pages 165-87, April.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Amy P. Hutton & Gregory S. Miller & Douglas J. Skinner, 2003. "The Role of Supplementary Statements with Management Earnings Forecasts," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(5), pages 867-890, December.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Zahra, Shaker A., 1991. "Predictors and financial outcomes of corporate entrepreneurship: An exploratory study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 259-285, July.
- Errunza, Vihang R & Senbet, Lemma W, 1981. "The Effects of International Operations on the Market Value of the Firm: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 401-17, May.
- Chandler, Gaylen N. & Hanks, Steven H., 1994. "Market attractiveness, resource-based capabilities, venture strategies, and venture performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 331-349, July.
- Alan M Rugman, 1976. "Risk Reduction by International Diversification," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 7(2), pages 75-80, June.
- Fama, Eugene F, et al, 1969. "The Adjustment of Stock Prices to New Information," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 10(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1980. "Measuring security price performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 205-258, September.
- repec:fth:michin:282 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.