The Employment of the Low-Skilled Youth in France
AbstractYouth unemployment is notoriously high in France, in particular for the low-skilled. Within the EU, only the crisis countries of Southern Europe fare worse. This report delivered to the French Council of Economic Analysis analyzes the causes and consequences of this alarming trend. In addition, drawing on the available evidence on various measures that could improve the current situation, concrete policies proposals are derived that cover the areas of vocational education, second chance programs, job search assistance, income support, employment subsidies and dismissal protection.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Policy Papers with number 64.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J38 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Public Policy
- J68 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Public Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2013-06-30 (European Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2013-06-30 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-LAB-2013-06-30 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LMA-2013-06-30 (Labor Markets - Supply, Demand, & Wages)
- NEP-LTV-2013-06-30 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Carcillo, Stéphane & Rinne, Ulf & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2013. "Youth Unemployment in Old Europe: The Polar Cases of France and Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 7490, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eichhorst, Werner & Hinte, Holger & Rinne, Ulf, 2013. "Jugendarbeitslosigkeit in Europa: Status Quo und (keine?) Perspektiven," IZA Standpunkte 57, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eichhorst, Werner & Hinte, Holger & Rinne, Ulf, 2013. "Youth Unemployment in Europe: What to Do about It?," IZA Policy Papers 65, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.