Entrepreneurship and the Business Environment in Africa: An Application to Ethiopia
AbstractSince mid-2000s, Ethiopia has been one of the fastest growing countries in the world. However, productive entrepreneurship in high-value added activities has made limited contributions to this growth, in part because of a weak business environment. Moreover, the low-productive firms in the informal sector still account for a large share of employment. Reflecting these facts, this paper presents a model of costly entrepreneurial start-ups in an economy with a large informal sector and rigid business environment where an equilibrium outcome can be a low-skill, low-productivity trap. By fostering productive start-ups and skilled employment, creation of an enabling business environment could help move the Ethiopian economy into high-productivity equilibrium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 7553.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J48 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Particular Labor Markets; Public Policy
- O17 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2013-08-31 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2013-08-31 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-IUE-2013-08-31 (Informal & Underground Economics)
- NEP-SBM-2013-08-31 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faggio, Giulia & Konings, Jozef, 2003.
"Job creation, job destruction and employment growth in transition countries in the 90s,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 129-154, June.
- Faggio, Giulia & Konings, Jozef, 2001. "Job Creation, Job Destruction and Employment Growth in Transition Countries in the 90's," IZA Discussion Papers 242, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gollin, Douglas, 2008.
"Nobody's business but my own: Self-employment and small enterprise in economic development,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 219-233, March.
- Douglas Gollin, 2001. "Nobody's Business but My Own: Self Employment and Small Enterprise in Economic Development," Center for Development Economics 172, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- P. Diamond, 1980.
"Aggregate Demand Management in Search Equilibrium,"
268, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Mulu Gebreeyesus, 2008. "Firm turnover and productivity differentials in Ethiopian manufacturing," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 113-129, April.
- Dethier, Jean-Jacques & Hirn, Maximilian & Straub, Stephane, 2008.
"Explaining Enterprise Performance in Developing Countries with Business Climate Survey Data,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4792, The World Bank.
- Jean-Jacques Dethier & Maximilian Hirn & Stéphane Straub, 2011. "Explaining Enterprise Performance in Developing Countries with Business Climate Survey Data," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 26(2), pages 258-309, August.
- Mthuli Ncube, 2005. "Economic Growth, Entrepreneurship and the Business Environment in Africa," Working Papers 30, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- World Bank, 2009. "Ethiopia - Toward the Competitive Frontier : Strategies for Improving Ethiopia’s Investment Climate," World Bank Other Operational Studies 3076, The World Bank.
- Pissarides, Christopher A, 1985. "Short-run Equilibrium Dynamics of Unemployment Vacancies, and Real Wages," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 676-90, September.
- Brixiová, Zuzana & Égert, Balázs, 2012. "Business Environment, Start-Ups, And Productivity During Transition," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(S2), pages 213-231, September.
- João Zambujal Oliveira & Ricardo Pinheiro Alves, 2010.
"The Ease of Doing Business Index as a tool for Investment location decisions,"
0030, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised Dec 2010.
- Pinheiro-Alves, Ricardo & Zambujal-Oliveira, João, 2012. "The Ease of Doing Business Index as a tool for investment location decisions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 66-70.
- Klapper, Leora & Laeven, Luc & Rajan, Raghuram, 2006. "Entry regulation as a barrier to entrepreneurship," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 591-629, December.
- Tetsushi Sonobe & John E. Akoten & Keijiro Otsuka, 2009. "An Exploration into the Successful Development of the Leather-Shoe Industry in Ethiopia," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 719-736, November.
- Baliamoune-Lutz, Mina, 2009. "Entrepreneurship and Reforms in Developing Countries," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Sutton, John & Kellow, Nebil, 2010. "An enterprise map of Ethiopia," Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.