Unemployment Equilibrium and On-the-Job Search
AbstractThis paper uses the search and matching framework to explore the impact of employed job search on the labour market. The specific features of our model are endogenous employed job search, flows in and out of the labour force, endogenous job destruction and heterogenous job creation. Also, job flows and workers flows do not coincide as we allow for job-to-job flows and labour force entries and exits. Employed job search is shown to have a substantial impact on unemployment dynamics but a negligible one on the level of unemployment. More on-the-job search leads to lower unemployment inflow and outflow, i.e. a more stagnant unemployment pool. With employed job search, the stock of vacancies is more cyclically sensitive, the unemployment outflow less cyclically sensitive and the unemployment inflow more cyclically sensitive than without employed job search. With our model, the impact of a change in unemployment benefit does not only occur through the conventional decrease in the unemployment outflow rate, but also through an increase in the unemployment inflow rate. The calibrated version of our model replicates well the cyclical behaviour of job and worker flows observed in the data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 753.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2003
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as 'Worker Flows, Job Flows and Unemployment in a Matching Model' in: European Economic Review, 2010, 54 (3), 393-408
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Burda, Michael C & Wyplosz, Charles, 1993.
"Gross Worker and Job Flows in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
868, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Burdett, Kenneth & Mortensen, Dale T, 1998. "Wage Differentials, Employer Size, and Unemployment," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(2), pages 257-73, May.
- Simon Burgess & H Turon, 2000.
"Unemployment Dynamics, Duration and Equilibrium: Evidence from Britain,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0474, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Burgess, Simon & Turon, Hélène, 2000. "Unemployment Dynamics, Duration and Equilibrium: Evidence from Britain," CEPR Discussion Papers 2490, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wouter Den Haan & Christian Haefke & Garey Ramey, 2001.
"Shocks and Institutions in a Job Matching Model,"
NBER Working Papers
8463, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wouter Denhaan, 2001. "FORTRAN code for Shocks and Institutions," QM&RBC Codes 62, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Den Haan, Wouter & Haefke, Christian & Ramey, Gary, 2001. "Shocks and Institutions in a Job Matching Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 2970, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christian Haefke, 2001. "Shocks and institutions in a job matching model," Economics Working Papers 568, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 2001.
- Garibaldi, Pietro & Wasmer, Etienne, 2001. "Labor Market Flows and Equilibrium Search Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 406, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Burgess, Simon & Lane, Julia & Stevens, David, 2000.
"Job Flows, Worker Flows, and Churning,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(3), pages 473-502, July.
- repec:ner:sciepo:info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pdjkuc9g8grh35j2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-90, October.
- Fabien Postel-Vinay & Jean-Marc Robin, 2002.
"Equilibrium Wage Dispersion with Worker and Employer Heterogeneity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(6), pages 2295-2350, November.
- Postel-Vinay, Fabien & Robin, Jean-Marc, 2002. "Equilibrium Wage Dispersion with Worker and Employer Heterogeneity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3548, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Postel-Vinay, F. & Robin, J.-M., 2002. "Equilibrium wage dispersion with worker and employer heterogeneity," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 1992.
"Search Unemployment with on-the-job Search,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0074, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher, 1999.
"New Developments in Models of Search in the Labour Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2053, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mortensen, Dale T. & Pissarides, Christopher A., 1999. "New developments in models of search in the labor market," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 39, pages 2567-2627 Elsevier.
- Mortensen, Dale T., 1994. "The cyclical behavior of job and worker flows," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 1121-1142, November.
- Boeri, Tito, 1999.
"Enforcement of employment security regulations, on-the-job search and unemployment duration,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 65-89, January.
- Boeri, Tito, 1998. "Enforcement of Employment Security Regulations, On-The-Job Search and Unemployment Duration," CEPR Discussion Papers 1850, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Burgess, Simon M, 1993. "A Model of Competition between Unemployed and Employed Job Searchers: An Application to the Unemployment Outflow Rate in Britain," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(420), pages 1190-204, September.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991.
"Gross job creation, gross job destruction and employment reallocation,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Davis, Steven J & Haltiwanger, John C, 1992. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-63, August.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction and Employment Reallocation," NBER Working Papers 3728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, S.J. & Haltiwanger, J., 1989. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction And Employment Reallocation," Working Papers e-89-33, Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Job security, employment and wages," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 851-879, June.
- P Garibaldi, 1995.
"Job Flow Dynamics and Firing Restrictions,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0256, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- den Haan, Wouter J. & Haefke, Christian & Ramey, Garey, 2001. "Shocks and Institutions in a Job Matching Model," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt7x3544bn, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Narendranathan, W & Nickell, S & Stern, J, 1985. "Unemployment Benefits Revisited," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(378), pages 307-29, June.
- Sanna-Mari Hynninen, 2009. "Matching in local labor markets: a stochastic frontier approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 15-26, February.
- Abid, Anis Bou & Drine, Imed, 2011.
"Efficiency frontier and matching process on the labour market: Evidence from Tunisia,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1131-1139, May.
- Anis Bou Abid & Imed Drine, 2010. "Efficiency Frontier and Matching Process on the Labour Market: Evidence from Tunisia," Working Paper Series wp2010-123, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Drine, Imed & Bou Abid, Anis, 2010. "Efficiency frontier and matching process on the labor market: Evidence from Tunisia," MPRA Paper 21994, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sanna-Mari Hynninen & Jukka Lahtonen, 2007. "Does population density matter in the process of matching heterogeneous job seekers and vacancies?," Empirica, Springer, vol. 34(5), pages 397-410, December.
- Jukka Petteri Lahtonen & Sanna-Mari Hynninen, 2005. "Does population density matter in the matching process of heterogeneous job seekers and vacancies?," ERSA conference papers ersa05p438, European Regional Science Association.
- Elisabetta Marzano, 2008. "Search on the job in European countries: evidence based on the European Community Household Panel Survey (ECHP)," Working Papers 7_2008, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Hynninen, Sanna-Mari & Longhi, Simonetta, 2009. "Job competition and entry wages of highly educated workers: are there differences between Great Britain and Finland?," ISER Working Paper Series 2009-20, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Aki Kangasharju & Sanna-Mari Hynninen & Jaakko Pehkonen, 2006.
"Regional Matching Frictions and Aggregate Unemployment,"
383, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Sanna-Mari Hynninen & Aki Kangasharju & Jaakko Pehkonen, 2006. "Regional Matching Frictions and Aggregate Unemployment," ERSA conference papers ersa06p416, European Regional Science Association.
- Hynninen, Sanna-Mari, 2009. "Is there a wage curve for the highly educated?," ISER Working Paper Series 2009-17, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Sanna-Mari Hynninen, 2005. "Labour market status of job seekers in regional matching processes," ERSA conference papers ersa05p499, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.