Who Moves and For How Long: Determinants of Different Forms of Migration
AbstractThis paper analyses the determinants and correlates of different forms of migration, including circular, temporary and permanent. Using Moldovan data we show that age, education, number of children in a household and social as well as economic development in the region of origin play a crucial role in the decision to migrate permanently or on temporary/circular basis. We believe that understanding who moves and whether temporarily or circularly will help formulate more effective migration policies both in the sending and receiving countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 7388.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: May 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- F22 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Migration
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-05-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-EUR-2013-05-19 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-MIG-2013-05-19 (Economics of Human Migration)
- NEP-TRA-2013-05-19 (Transition Economics)
- NEP-URE-2013-05-19 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Florin P. Vadean & Matloob Piracha, 2009.
"Circular Migration or Permanent Return: What Determines Different Forms of Migration?,"
Studies in Economics
0912, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Vadean, Florin & Piracha, Matloob, 2009. "Circular Migration or Permanent Return: What Determines Different Forms of Migration?," IZA Discussion Papers 4287, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Amelie Constant & Klaus Zimmermann, 2011. "Circular and Repeat Migration: Counts of Exits and Years Away from the Host Country," Population Research and Policy Review, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 495-515, August.
- Matloob Piracha & Florin Vadean, 2009.
"Return Migration and Occupational Choice,"
Studies in Economics
0905, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Constant, Amelie & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 2003.
"The Dynamics of Repeat Migration: A Markov Chain Analysis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4124, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Amelie F. Constant & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2012. "The Dynamics of Repeat Migration: A Markov Chain Analysis," International Migration Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 362-388, 06.
- Constant, Amelie F. & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2003. "The Dynamics of Repeat Migration: A Markov Chain Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 885, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Amelie Constant & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2003. "The Dynamics of Repeat Migration: A Markov Chain Analysis," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 378, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Dustmann, Christian, 1997. "Return migration, uncertainty and precautionary savings," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 295-316, April.
- Matloob Piracha & Yu Zhu, 2008.
"Precautionary Savings by Natives and Immigrants in Germany,"
Studies in Economics
0821, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- M. Piracha & Y. Zhu, 2012. "Precautionary savings by natives and immigrants in Germany," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(21), pages 2767-2776, July.
- Piracha, Matloob & Zhu, Yu, 2007. "Precautionary Savings by Natives and Immigrants in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 2942, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Matloob Piracha & Yu Zhu, 2007. "Precautionary Savings by Natives and Immigrants in Germany," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 33, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Constant, Amelie F. & Nottmeyer, Olga & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2012. "The Economics of Circular Migration," IZA Discussion Papers 6940, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.