Flexible Workplace Practices and Labor Productivity
AbstractUsing a German employer-employee matched panel data set this paper examines the effects of High Performance Workplace Systems (HPWSs) on labor productivity (defined as sales per worker) and labor efficiency (defined as the inverse of unit labor costs). The estimation results indicate that simple cross-sectional estimates of the effects of implementing HPWSs on labor productivity are biased downward due to unobserved time-invariant establishment effects and the endogeneity of the used measure for innovative workplace practices. The latter bias appears to be quantitatively more important. Results from estimating a correlated random coefficient model further suggest that a potential bias in the 2SLS-estimates due to self-selection seems to be negligible. The estimated effects of HPWSs on labor productivity are economically important and rising over time. However, corresponding positive effects of HPWSs on labor efficiency occur only in the long run. Finally, due to rising wages associated with the adoption of HPWSs, the effects of these systems on labor efficiency are smaller than the corresponding effects on labor productivity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 700.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J5 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
- M11 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Production Management
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-02-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2003-02-10 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2003-02-10 (Post Keynesian Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bellmann, Lutz & Pahnke, André, 2006. "Auswirkungen organisatorischen Wandels auf die betriebliche Arbeitsnachfrage (Effects of organisational change on firms' demand for labour)," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 39(2), pages 201-233.
- Laura Arranz-Aperte & Almas Heshmati, 2004.
"Determinants of Profit Sharing in the Finnish Corporate Sector,"
Indian Economic Review,
Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 39(1), pages 55-79, January.
- Arranz-Aperte, Laura & Heshmati, Almas, 2003. "Determinants of Profit Sharing in the Finnish Corporate Sector," IZA Discussion Papers 776, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kirchner, Stefan & Oppen, Maria & Bellmann, Lutz, 2008. "Zur gesellschaftlichen Einbettung von Organisationswandel : Einführungsdynamik dezentraler Organisationsstrukturen," IAB Discussion Paper 200837, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan, 2004.
"Technological change, organizational change, and job turnover,"
Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 265-291, June.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan, 2002. "Technological Change, Organizational Change, and Job Turnover," IZA Discussion Papers 570, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bauer, Thomas & Bender, Stefan, 2002. "Technological Change, Organizational Change, and Job Turnover," CEPR Discussion Papers 3534, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Annalisa Cristini & Alessandro Gaj & Riccardo Leoni, 2008. "Direct and Indirect Complementarity between Workplace Reorganization and New Technology," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 98(2), pages 87-117, March-Apr.
- Hans K. Hvide & Todd Kaplan, 2003.
"A Theory of Capital Structure with Strategic Defaults and Priority Violations,"
- Hans K. Hvide & Tore Leite, 2003. "A Theory of Capital Structure with Strategic Defaults and Priority Violations," Finance 0311003, EconWPA.
- Enrico Marelli & Marcello Signorelli, 2010. "Employment, productivity and models of growth in the EU," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(7), pages 732-754, November.
- Arvanitis, Spyros & Loukis, Euripidis N., 2009. "Information and communication technologies, human capital, workplace organization and labour productivity: A comparative study based on firm-level data for Greece and Switzerland," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 43-61, February.
- Arrantz-Aperte, Laura & Heshmati, Almas, 2003. "Determinants of Profit Sharing in the Finnish Sector," Working Papers 492, Hanken School of Economics.
- Kathrin Armbruster & Michael Beckmann, 2010. "Business environment, managerial strategies, and the allocation of decision-making authorities in Swiss Firms," Working papers 2010/06, Faculty of Business and Economics - University of Basel.
- Annalisa Cristini & Dario Pozzoli, 2010. "Workplace practices and firm performance in manufacturing: A comparative study of Italy and Britain," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(7), pages 818-842, November.
- Zwick, Thomas, 2003. "Works Councils and the Productivity Impact of Direct Employee Participation," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-47, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- repec:iab:iabzaf:v:41:i:2/3:p:259-285 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bellmann, Lutz & Cornelißen, Thomas & Hübler, Olaf & Pahnke, André, 2008. "Betriebliche Reorganisation, Entlohnung und Beschäftigungsstabilität (Organisational change, wages and job stability)," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 41(2/3), pages 259-285.
- repec:iab:iabzaf:v:39:i:2:p:201-233 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bukowski, Maciej & Lewandowski, Piotr & Koloch, Grzegorz & Baranowska, Anna & Magda, Iga & Szydlowski, Arkadiusz & Bober, Magda & Bieliński, Jacek & Zawistowski, Julian & Sarzalska, Malgorzata, 2008. "Employment in Poland 2007: Security on flexible labour market," MPRA Paper 14284, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.