Like Father, Like Son? Intergenerational Education Mobility in India
AbstractAn important constraint in studying intergenerational education mobility for India is the lack of data that contain information about parents' education for the entire adult population. This paper employs a novel strategy to create a unique father-son matched data that is representative of the entire adult male population in India. Using this father-son matched data, we study the extent of intergenerational mobility in educational attainment in India since 1940s and provide an estimate of how India ranks among other nations. We also document this mobility across social groups, and states in India. Finally, we investigate the evolution of mobility in educational attainment across the two generations and whether this trend differs across social groups and state boundaries. We find that there have been significant improvements in educational mobility across generations in India, at the aggregate level, across social groups, and across states. Although most of the Indian states have made significant progress over time, in terms of improved mobility, there remains significant variation across states with some states faring worse than the others.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 6549.
Length: 56 pages
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J6 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEM-2012-05-22 (Demographic Economics)
- NEP-DEV-2012-05-22 (Development)
- NEP-EDU-2012-05-22 (Education)
- NEP-LAB-2012-05-22 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Sandra & Devereux, Paul J., 2010.
"Recent Developments in Intergenerational Mobility,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7786, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sandra E Black & Paul J Devereux, 2010. "Recent Developments in Intergenerational Mobility," Working Papers 201010, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Sandra E. Black & Paul J. Devereux, 2010. "Recent Developments in Intergenerational Mobility," Working Papers 201025, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Black, Sandra E. & Devereux, Paul J., 2010. "Recent Developments in Intergenerational Mobility," IZA Discussion Papers 4866, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sandra E. Black & Paul J. Devereux, 2010. "Recent Developments in Intergenerational Mobility," NBER Working Papers 15889, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jere Behrman R. & Alejandro Gavieria Uribe & Miguel Szekely Sánchez, 2001.
"Intergenerational Mobility in Latin America,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO
- L. Alan Winters & Shahid Yusuf, 2007. "Dancing with the Giants: China, India, and the Global Economy," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6632.
- Pirmin Fessler & Peter Mooslechner & Martin Schürz, 2012. "Intergenerational transmission of educational attainment in Austria," Empirica, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 65-86, February.
- repec:idb:brikps:6485 is not listed on IDEAS
- Asadullah, M. Niaz & Yalonetzky, Gaston, 2012.
"Inequality of Educational Opportunity in India: Changes Over Time and Across States,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1151-1163.
- Asadullah, Niaz & Yalonetzky, Gaston, 2010. "Inequality of Educational Opportunity in India: Changes over Time and across States," IZA Discussion Papers 5146, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christian Daude, 2011. "Ascendance by Descendants?: On Intergenerational Education Mobility in Latin America," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 297, OECD Publishing.
- Ray, Jhilam & Majumder, Rajarshi, 2010. "Educational and occupational mobility across generations in India: social and regional dimensions," MPRA Paper 28539, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ali Cheema & Muhammad Farooq Naseer, 2013. "Historical Inequality and Intergenerational Educational Mobility: The Dynamics of Change in Rural Punjab," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 18(Special E), pages 211-231, September.
- Azam, Mehtabul, 2013. "Intergenerational Occupational Mobility in India," IZA Discussion Papers 7608, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.