Financial Sector Regulation and Reforms in Emerging Markets: An Overview
AbstractThis paper provides an overview of the complex conceptual and practical challenges that emerging market economies face as they attempt to reform their frameworks for financial regulation. These economies are striving to balance the quest for financial stability with the imperatives of financial development and broader financial inclusion. I argue that these objectives can in fact reinforce one another. I also discuss aspects of macroeconomic policies and cross-border regulation that have implications for financial stability and the resilience of the financial sector in emerging markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 5233.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: published in: Masahiro Kawai and Eswar Prasad (eds.), Financial Sector Reforms and Regulation in Emerging Markets, Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press, 2011, 3-24
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- Eswar S. Prasad, 2010. "Financial Sector Regulation and Reforms in Emerging Markets: An Overview," NBER Working Papers 16428, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2010-10-30 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-REG-2010-10-30 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prasad, Eswar, 2009.
"Rebalancing Growth in Asia,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4298, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mark Aguiar & Gita Gopinath, 2004.
"Emerging market business cycles: the cycle is the trend,"
Working Papers, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston
04-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Mark Aguiar & Gita Gopinath, 2007. "Emerging Market Business Cycles: The Cycle Is the Trend," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 115, pages 69-102.
- Mark Aguiar & Gita Gopinath, 2004. "Emerging Market Business Cycles: The Cycle is the Trend," NBER Working Papers 10734, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ayako Saiki & Jon Frost, 2014. "How does unconventional monetary policy affect inequality? Evidence from Japan," DNB Working Papers, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department 423, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Goran AmidÃ…Â¾iÃ„â€¡ & Alexander Massara & AndrÃƒÂ© Mialou, 2014. "Assessing CountriesÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ Financial Inclusion Standing - A New Composite Index," IMF Working Papers 14/36, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter J. Morgan & Victor Pontines, 2014.
"Financial Stability and Financial Inclusion,"
Microeconomics Working Papers
24278, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Morgan, Peter & Pontines, Victor, 2014. "Financial Stability and Financial Inclusion," ADBI Working Papers 488, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Peter J. Morgan & Victor Pontines, 2014. "Financial Stability and Financial Inclusion," Finance Working Papers 24278, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Han, Rui & Melecky, Martin, 2013. "Financial Inclusion for Stability: Access to Bank Deposits and the Deposit Growth during the Global Financial Crisis," MPRA Paper 45157, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Han, Rui & Melecky, Martin, 2013. "Financial inclusion for financial stability : access to bank deposits and the growth of deposits in the Global Financial Crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6577, The World Bank.
- Robert Cull & Asl? Demirgüç-Kunt & Timothy Lyman, 2012. "Financial Inclusion and Stability : What Does Research Show?," World Bank Other Operational Studies 9443, The World Bank.
- repec:pra:mprapa:48339 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.