What Makes a Good Conference? Analysing the Preferences of Labor Economists
AbstractConferences are an important element in the work of researchers, requiring substantial investments in fees, travel expenses and the time spent by the participants. The aim of this paper is to identify the preferences of participants with respect to conference characteristics. Based on a sample of European labour economists, preferences are measured using the vignette approach where participants are asked to choose between hypothetical European Association of Labour Economists (EALE) conferences. We find that the keynote speakers are the most important element in the preference for a conference, followed by the location of the conference. There is substantial heterogeneity in the taste of labour economists especially with respect to location, though the link between preference parameters and measured characteristics like gender, age and seniority is limited. Factor analysis suggests that the variety in preferences can be best described by a latent variable that reflects the weights people put on content versus fun.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 4870.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: published in: Labour Economics, 2010, 17 (5), 868-874
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- Borghans, Lex & Romans, Margo & Sauermann, Jan, 2010. "What makes a good conference? Analysing the preferences of labour economists," Labour Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 868-874, October.
- Borghans Lex & Romans Margo & Sauermann Jan, 2010. "What makes a good conference? Analysing the preferences of labor economists," Research Memorandum 020, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Borghans Lex & Romans Margo & Sauermann Jan, 2010. "What makes a good conference? Analysing the preferences of labour economists," ROA Research Memorandum, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA) 005, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- A11 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Role of Economics; Role of Economists
- J44 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Professional Labor Markets and Occupations
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-SOG-2010-04-17 (Sociology of Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2010-04-17 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruno S. Frey & Silke Humbert & Friedrich Schneider, 2007. "Was denken deutsche Ökonomen? Eine empirische Auswertung einer Internetbefragung unter den Mitgliedern des Vereins für Socialpolitik im Sommer 2006," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8(4), pages 359-377, November.
- Daniel McFadden & Albert Bemmaor & Francis Caro & Jeff Dominitz & Byung-Hill Jun & Arthur Lewbel & Rosa Matzkin & Francesca Molinari & Norbert Schwarz & Robert Willis & Joachim Winter, 2005.
"Statistical Analysis of Choice Experiments and Surveys,"
Marketing Letters, Springer,
Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 183-196, December.
- McFadden, Daniel L. & Bemmaor, Albert C. & Caro, Francis G. & Dominitz, Jeff & Jun, Byung-hill & Lewbel, Arthur & Matzkin, Rosa L. & Molinari, Francesca & Schwarz, Norbert & Willis, Robert J. & Winter, 2005. "Statistical analysis of choice experiments and surveys," Munich Reprints in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics 19251, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Arie Kapteyn & James P. Smith & Arthur van Soest, 2007.
"Vignettes and Self-Reports of Work Disability in the United States and the Netherlands,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 97(1), pages 461-473, March.
- Kapteyn, A. & Smith, J.P. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 2007. "Vignettes and self-reports of work disability in the United States and the Netherlands," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-210598, Tilburg University.
- Myong Jae Lee & Ki-Joon Back, 2007. "Effects of Destination Image on Meeting Participation Intentions: Empirical Findings from a Professional Association and its Annual Convention," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(1), pages 59-73, January.
- Jouke van Dijk & Gunther Maier, 2006. "ERSA Conference participation: does location matter?," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(4), pages 483-504, November.
- Haufler, Andreas & Rincke, Johannes, 2009.
"Wer trägt bei der Jahrestagung des Vereins für Socialpolitik vor? Eine empirische Analyse,"
Munich Reprints in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics
20423, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Andreas Haufler & Johannes Rincke, 2009. "Wer trägt bei der Jahrestagung des Vereins für Socialpolitik vor? Eine empirische Analyse," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 10(2), pages 123-145, 05.
- Royuela, Vicente, 2012. "Regional Science trends through the analysis of the main facts of the 51st ERSA Conference," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 24, pages 13-39.
- Vicente Royuela, 2012. "What about people in European Regional Science?," Working Papers, Xarxa de ReferÃ¨ncia en Economia Aplicada (XREAP) XREAP2012-12, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised May 2012.
- Christiane Hellmanzik, 2013. "Does travel inspire? Evidence from the superstars of modern art," Empirical Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 281-303, August.
- Auspurg, Katrin & JÃ¤ckle, Annette, 2012. "First equals most important? Order effects in vignette-based measurement," ISER Working Paper Series 2012-01, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.