What Should Be Done About Rising Unemployment in the OECD?
AbstractThere is a growing belief that the recession has run its course and that the goods market has started a period of slow, but sustainable, recovery. Improvement in the labor market may take some time, but many believe that unemployment will return to its 2007 level in the medium term. In this paper, we argue that recovery is by no means guaranteed and that the consequences for unemployment may be worse than anticipated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 4455.
Length: 53 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as 'Recession and unemployment in the OECD' in: CESifo Forum, 2010, 1, 14 - 22
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2009-10-10 (European Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2009-10-10 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pfeiffer, Friedhelm & Seiberlich, Ruben R., 2010.
"A Socio-economic Analysis of Youth Disconnectedness,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4855, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Friedhelm Pfeiffer & Ruben R. Seiberlich, 2010. "A Socio-Economic Analysis of Youth Disconnectedness," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 291, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Pfeiffer, Friedhelm & Seiberlich, Ruben R., 2009. "A socio-economic analysis of youth disconnectedness," ZEW Discussion Papers, ZEW - Zentrum fÃ¼r EuropÃ¤ische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research 09-070, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Till van Treeck, 2012. "Did inequality cause the U.S. financial crisis?," IMK Working Paper, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute 91-2012, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Simon Sturn, 2011. "Labour market regimes and unemployment in OECD countries," IMK Working Paper, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute 6-2011, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- David N. F. Bell & David Blanchflower, 2010. "Recession and Umemployment in the OECD," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 11(1), pages 14-22, 04.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.