Entrepreneurial Entry: Which Institutions Matter?
AbstractIn this paper we explore the relationship between the individual decision to become an entrepreneur and the institutional context. We pinpoint the critical roles of property rights and the size of the state sector for entrepreneurial activity and test the relationships empirically by combining country-level institutional indicators for 44 countries with working age population survey data taken from the Global Enterprise Monitor. A methodological contribution is the use of factor analysis to reduce the statistical problems with the array of highly collinear institutional indicators. We find that the key institutional features that enhance entrepreneurial activity are indeed the rule of law and limits to the state sector. However, these results are sensitive to the level of development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 4123.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: published in: Grzegorz Kolodko and Jacek Tomkiewicz (eds.), 20 Years of Transformation: Achievements, Problems and Perspectives, New York: Nova, 2011
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- P14 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems - - - Property Rights
- P51 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - Comparative Analysis of Economic Systems
- P37 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Legal
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2009-04-25 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-SOC-2009-04-25 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
- NEP-TRA-2009-04-25 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hellman, Joel S. & Jones, Geraint & Kaufmann, Daniel, 2003. "Seize the state, seize the day: state capture and influence in transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 751-773, December.
- Davidsson, Per & Honig, Benson, 2003. "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 301-331, May.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, .
"The Quality of Government,"
19452, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998. "The Quality of Government," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1847, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1998. "The Quality of Goverment," NBER Working Papers 6727, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Parker,Simon C., 2004.
"The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521828130, December.
- Parker,Simon C., 2006. "The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521030632, December.
- Baumol William J. & Litan Robert E & Schramm Carl J, 2007. "Sustaining Entrepreneurial Capitalism," Capitalism and Society, De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-38, November.
- Ruta Aidis & , Julia Korosteleva & , Tomasz Mickiewicz, 2008. "Entrepreneurship in Russia," Working Papers 88, CENTRE FOR THE STUDY OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN EUROPE,School of Slavonic and East European Studies,University College London (SSEES,UCL).
- Daron Acemoglu, 2005. "Constitutions, Politics and Economics: A Review Essay on Persson and Tabellini's "The Economic Effect of Constitutions"," NBER Working Papers 11235, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Minniti, Maria, 2005. "Entrepreneurship and network externalities," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 1-27, May.
- Yuen-Ping Ho & Poh-Kam Wong, 2007. "Financing, Regulatory Costs and Entrepreneurial Propensity," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 187-204, March.
- Glaeser, Edward & Scheinkman, Jose & Shleifer, Andrei, 2003.
"The injustice of inequality,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 199-222, January.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Andrei Shleifer, 2002. "The Injustice of Inequality," NBER Working Papers 9150, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Jose Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 2002. "The Injustice of Inequality," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1967, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Thierry Verdier & Daron Acemoglu, 2000.
"The Choice between Market Failures and Corruption,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 194-211, March.
- Wendy Carlin & Mark Schaffer & Paul Seabright, 2006. "Where are the Real Bottlenecks? A Lagrangian Approach to Identifying Constraints on Growth from Subjective Survey Data," CERT Discussion Papers 0604, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Klapper, Leora & Laeven, Luc & Rajan, Raghuram, 2006. "Entry regulation as a barrier to entrepreneurship," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 591-629, December.
- Mario Holzner & F. Peci, 2011. "The Impact of Customs Procedures on Business Performance: Evidence from Kosovo," wiiw Working Papers 76, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Tino Sanandaji & Peter T. Leeson, 2013.
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 22(1), pages 313-337, February.
- Zuzana Brixiova & Balázs Égert, 2010.
"Modeling Institutions, Start-ups and Productivity during Transition,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
773, OECD Publishing.
- Zuzana Brixiova & Balazs Egert, 2010. "Modeling Institutions, Start-Ups and Productivity during Transition," CESifo Working Paper Series 2952, CESifo Group Munich.
- Zuzana Brixiova & Balazs Egert, 2010. "Modeling Institutions, Start-Ups And Productivity During Transition," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp975, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Mukherjee, Vivekananda & Mitra, Siddhartha & Banerjee, Swapnendu, 2013. "Corruption, Pricing of Public Services and Entrepreneurship in Economies with Leakage," MPRA Paper 49049, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Braunerhjelm, Pontus, 2010.
"Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Economic Growth – Past experiences, current knowledge and policy implications,"
2010:2, Swedish Entrepreneurship Forum.
- Braunerhjelm, Pontus, 2010. "Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Economic Growth - past experience, current knowledge and policy implications," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 224, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Kapeliushnikov, Rostislav & Kuznetsov, Andrei & Demina, Natalia & Kuznetsova, Olga, 2013. "Threats to security of property rights in a transition economy: An empirical perspective," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 245-264.
- Andersson, Martin & Baltzopoulos, Apostolos & Lööf, Hans, 2010.
"R&D Strategies and Entrepreneurial Spawning,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
228, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.