The College Wage Gap in 10 European Countries: Evidence from Two Cohorts
AbstractWe study the recent evolution of the college wage gap with a unique data set that comprises two cohorts and 10 European countries from the early to mid 1980s to the mid to late 1990s. We find evidence of significant cross country differences in the level and dynamics of the gap. There is also evidence that both the level and the growth of the college wage gap significantly differ between cohorts. The estimated growth in the gap turns out to be negatively correlated to changes in relative supply and positively correlated both with the long run rate of productivity growth and with an index of between industry demand shocks. Institutional changes also matter, and we find that countries that have experienced declines in union density, in the centralization of the wage bargain and in employment protection measures have also had a faster growth in the college wage gap.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 228.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Angel de la Fuente & Antonio Ciccone, 2003.
"Human capital in a global and knowledge-based economy,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
562.03, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Angel de la Fuente, 2003. "Human capital in a global and knowledge-based economy," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 576.03, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Angel de la Fuente & Antonio Ciccone, 2003. "Human capital in a global and knowledge-based economy," Working Papers 70, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Concetta, MENDOLICCHIO, 2006. "A Disaggregate Analysis of Private Returns to Education in Italy," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques), UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques 2006054, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques.
- Barth, Erling & Lucifora, Claudio, 2006. "Wage Dispersion, Markets and Institutions: The Effects of the Boom in Education on the Wage Structure," IZA Discussion Papers 2181, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barbara Gebicka, 2010. "College Degree Supply and Occupational Allocation of Graduates the Case of the Czech Republic," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp407, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Å tÃ¬pÃ¡n Jurajda, 2005. "Czech Relative Wages and Returns to Schooling: Does the Short Supply of College Education Bite? (in English)," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 55(1-2), pages 83-95, January.
- Karoly Fazekas & Gabor Kezdi (ed.), 2007. "The Hungarian Labour Market 2007," The Hungarian Labour Market Yearbooks, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, number 2007, January.
- Kertesi, GÃ¡bor & KÃ¶llÅ‘, JÃ¡nos, 2006.
"FelsÅ‘oktatÃ¡si expanziÃ³, "diplomÃ¡s munkanÃ©lkÃ¼lisÃ©g" Ã©s a diplomÃ¡k piaci Ã©rtÃ©ke
[Expansion of higher education, graduate unemployment and the market value of a degree]," KÃ¶zgazdasÃ¡gi Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), KÃ¶zgazdasÃ¡gi Szemle AlapÃtvÃ¡ny (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(3), pages 201-225.
- Elena Crivellaro, . "College wage premium over time: trends in Europe in the last 15 years," Working Papers 2014:03, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Elena Giarda, 2007.
"The Worsening of Wage Expectations in Italy: a Study Based on Administrative data,"
LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series
57, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Elena Giarda, 2008. "The worsening of wage expectations in Italy: a study based on administrative data," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 64-87, May.
- Vladislav Flek & Kamil Galuscak & Jaromir Gottvald & Jaromir Hurnik & Stepan Jurajda & David Navratil & Petr Mares & Daniel Munich & Tomas Sirovatka & Jiri Vecernik, 2004. "Anatomy of the Czech Labour Market:From Over-Employment to Under-Employment in Ten Years?," Working Papers, Czech National Bank, Research Department 2004/07, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Stepan Jurajda, 2003. "Does the Short Supply of College Education Bite?," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp213, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Philip Oreopoulos, 2003. "Do Dropouts Drop Out Too Soon? Evidence from Changes in School-Leaving Laws," Working Papers oreo-03-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.