Network Formation: R&D Cooperation Propensity and Timing Among German Laser Source Manufacturers
AbstractEmpirical evidence on the evolution of innovation networks within high-tech industries is still scant. We investigate network formation processes by analyzing the timing of firms to enter R&D cooperations, using data on laser source manufacturers in Germany, 1990-2010. Network measures are constructed from a unique industry database that allows us to track both the formation and the termination of ties. Regression results reveal that a firm's knowledge endowment (and cooperation experience) shortens the duration to first (and consecutive) cooperation events. The previous occupation of strategic network positions is closely related to the establishment of further R&D cooperations at a swift pace. Geographic co-location produces mixed results in our analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Halle Institute for Economic Research in its series IWH Discussion Papers with number 9.
Date of creation: Jul 2013
Date of revision:
laser industry; innovation network; R&D cooperation; event history;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- D85 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Network Formation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-2013-07-20 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-CSE-2013-07-20 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EUR-2013-07-20 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-INO-2013-07-20 (Innovation)
- NEP-NET-2013-07-20 (Network Economics)
- NEP-SBM-2013-07-20 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-URE-2013-07-20 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Scherngell & Michael J. Barber, 2009. "Spatial interaction modelling of cross-region R&D collaborations: empirical evidence from the 5th EU framework programme," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(3), pages 531-546, 08.
- Ron Boschma, 2005. "Proximity and Innovation: A Critical Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 61-74.
- Michael Fritsch & Luis F. Medrano, 2010. "The Spatial Diffusion of a Knowledge Base-Laser Technology Research in West Germany, 1960-2005," Jena Economic Research Papers 2010-048, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Guido Buenstorf, 2006.
"Evolution on the Shoulders of Giants: Entrepreneurship and Firm Survival in the German Laser Industry,"
Papers on Economics and Evolution
2005-20, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Guido Buenstorf, 2007. "Evolution on the Shoulders of Giants: Entrepreneurship and Firm Survival in the German Laser Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 179-202, May.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-79, June.
- Dirk Fornahl & Tom Broekel & Ron Boschma, 2011.
"What drives patent performance of German biotech firms? The impact of R&D subsidies, knowledge networks and their location,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 90(2), pages 395-418, 06.
- Dirk Fornahl & Tom Broekel & Ron Boschma, 2010. "What drives patent performance of German biotech firms? The impact of R&D subsidies, knowledge networks and their location," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1009, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Aug 2010.
- Lorenzo Cassi & Nicoletta Corrocher & Franco Malerba & Nicholas Vonortas, 2008. "Research Networks As Infrastructure For Knowledge Diffusion In European Regions," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(7-8), pages 663-676.
- Carlsson, Bo & Jacobsson, Staffan & Holmen, Magnus & Rickne, Annika, 2002. "Innovation systems: analytical and methodological issues," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 233-245, February.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and the Sustainability of Competitive Advantage: Reply," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1514-1514, December.
- Amin, Ash & Wilkinson, Frank, 1999. "Learning, Proximity and Industrial Performance: An Introduction," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 121-25, March.
- Russell W. Coff, 2003. "The emergent knowledge-based theory of competitive advantage: an evolutionary approach to integrating economics and management," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 245-251.
- Tom Broekel & Holger Graf, 2012. "Public research intensity and the structure of German R&D networks: a comparison of 10 technologies," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 345-372, April.
- Spence, Michael, 1976. "Informational Aspects of Market Structure: An Introduction," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 591-97, November.
- Jörg Sydow & Frank Lerch & Udo Staber, 2010. "Planning for Path Dependence? The Case of a Network in the Berlin-Brandenburg Optics Cluster," Economic Geography, Clark University, vol. 86(2), pages 173-195, 04.
- Cooke, Philip, 2001. "Regional Innovation Systems, Clusters, and the Knowledge Economy," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 945-74, December.
- Muhamed Kudic & Andreas Pyka & Jutta Günther, 2012. "Determinants of Evolutionary Change Processes in Innovation Networks – Empirical Evidence from the German Laser Industry," IWH Discussion Papers 7, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Horst Hanusch & Andreas Pyka, 2005.
"Principles of Neo-Schumpeterian Economics,"
Discussion Paper Series
278, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Michael Spence, 2002.
"Signaling in Retrospect and the Informational Structure of Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 434-459, June.
- Spence, A. Michael, 2001. "Signaling in Retrospect and the Informational Structure of Markets," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 2001-6, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Malerba, Franco, 2002. "Sectoral systems of innovation and production," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 247-264, February.
- Colombo, Massimo G. & Grilli, Luca & Piva, Evila, 2006. "In search of complementary assets: The determinants of alliance formation of high-tech start-ups," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 1166-1199, October.
- Thomas Scherngell & Michael Barber, 2011. "Distinct spatial characteristics of industrial and public research collaborations: evidence from the fifth EU Framework Programme," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 247-266, April.
- Grupp, Hariolf, 2000. "Learning in a Science-Driven Market: The Case of Lasers," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 143-72, March.
- Maryann Feldman, 1999. "The New Economics Of Innovation, Spillovers And Agglomeration: Areview Of Empirical Studies," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1-2), pages 5-25.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- Noyons, E. C. M. & van Raan, A. F. J. & Grupp, H. & Schmoch, U., 1994. "Exploring the science and technology interface: inventor-author relations in laser medicine research," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 443-457, July.
- Evert-Jan Visser, 2009. "The Complementary Dynamic Effects of Clusters and Networks," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 167-195.
- Pierre-Alexandre Balland, 2012. "Proximity and the Evolution of Collaboration Networks: Evidence from Research and Development Projects within the Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) Industry," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(6), pages 741-756, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hubert Gabrisch).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.