Vergleich der Weiterbildungsaktivitäten von Arbeitslosen und Vollzeiterwerbstätigen
AbstractMany empirical studies consider either training activities of the unemployed or training activities of the employees in Germany. However, a comprehensive comparison of both groups is missing. The paper closes this gap. Using data of the latest time use survey (Zeitbudgeterhebung) of the Federal Statistical Office, the amount of training is compared for both groups. Furthermore, it is described which types of activities are made use of in particular. Heterogeneity due to different relevant socioeconomic characteristics in the two groups is eliminated by the appliance of a matching procedure. Findings demonstrate that only 49% of the unemployed persons participate in any kind of training activities off the job. In case of the full-time employment 59 % would take part. Concerning the average expenditure of time per week the difference turns around, i.e. the expenditure of time is higher during unemployment. However, a high proportion of the training activities of the unemployed falls upon general training, e.g. by reading books or watching TV. Furthermore, the result is driven by a different potential of time that can be used for training activities off the job. Relating to this potential of time the amount of training activities is still lower during unemployment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Halle Institute for Economic Research in its series IWH Discussion Papers with number 9.
Date of creation: Sep 2007
Date of revision:
training; unemployment; matching;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- J29 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Other
- J69 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-24 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Schultz, Birgit & Wilde, Joachim, 2008. "Vergleich der Weiterbildungsaktivitäten von Arbeitslosen und Vollzeiterwerbstätigen (Comparing the training activities of unemployed and full-time employed people)," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 41(1), pages 41-52.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hubert Gabrisch).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.