Transport Costs and the Size Distribution of a Linearly Arranged System of Cities
AbstractThe question regarding the effects of changing transports costs on the size distribution of cities is an important topic of systems of cities research. The so-called New Economic Geography has already given some answers to this question. One central assumption in this kind of model is a very particular, simplified spatial structure. This contribution investigates the consequences of changing transport costs for a system of cities that are located equidistantly on a straight line. In the case of rising transport costs, the main outcome of this model is worker concentration in the central large cities, while the peripheral regions lose residents.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Halle Institute for Economic Research in its series IWH Discussion Papers with number 26.
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
transport costs; agglomeration; urban systems;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- R13 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General Equilibrium and Welfare Economic Analysis of Regional Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2010-12-23 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-URE-2010-12-23 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Albrecht Kauffmann, 2013. "The Russian Urban System in Transition: The View of New Economic Geography," ERSA conference papers ersa13p280, European Regional Science Association.
- Kauffmann, Albrecht, 2012. "Transportkosten und Städtesystem," Forschungs- und Sitzungsberichte der ARL: Aufsätze, in: Städte und Regionen im Standortwettbewerb, pages 32-48 Akademie für Raumforschung und Landesplanung (ARL) - Leibniz-Forum für Raumwissenschaften.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hubert Gabrisch).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.