Grenzen des Wettbewerbs im Gesundheitswesen
AbstractMany health economists demand more competition in the health care system. They focus on the competition between sickness funds for insured and the competition between health care providers for contracts with sickness funds. But they neglect the competition between health care providers for patients which is crucial for medical quality. This third field of competition is in conflict with the two former fields. The empirical evidence concerning the effects of competition on cost and quality is also ambiguous. Thus the mere claim for “more competition” does not do justice to the high complexity of the health care system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Halle Institute for Economic Research in its series IWH Discussion Papers with number 1.
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision:
health care system; competition; sickness funds; free choice of medical practitioner;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2008-02-09 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IAS-2008-02-09 (Insurance Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breyer, Friedrich & Franz, Wolfgang & Homburg, Stefan & Schnabel, Reinhold & Wille, Eberhard, 2004. "Reform der sozialen Sicherung," EconStor Books, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, number 92399, December.
- Ribhegge, Hermann, 2008. "Zur Harmonie von Wettbewerbsrecht und Gesundheitspolitik: kritische Anmerkungen zu den Beschlüssen des Bundeskartellamtes zur Fusion im Krankenhausbereich," Discussion Papers 269, European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), Department of Business Administration and Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hubert Gabrisch).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.