The effects of the tax system on education decisions and welfare
AbstractI study the effects of a linear tax schedule on educational decisions and welfare in a two period model where the educational decision is discrete and its return is uncertain. I find that a linear tax rate has a positive effect on the number of agents who decide to acquire higher education. This effect becomes negative when the revenue is returned as a lump-sum transfer. The government can influence the education level to some extent using a linear tax schedule. However this policy always has a negative welfare effect. I also find that if there is a revenue need a welfare maximizing government will prefer a linear tax to a lump-sum tax.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie) in its series Working Papers. Serie AD with number 2010-11.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by Ivie
Education; taxation; welfare.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- H31 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - Household
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francisco Martínez-Sánchez & Miguel González-Maestre, 2010. "The role of program quality and publicly-owned platforms in the free to air broadcasting industry," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-19, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Sonia Oreffice & Climent Quintana, 2009.
"Anthropometry and Socioeconomics in the Couple: Evidence from the PSID,"
- Climent Quintana Domeque & Sonia Oreffice, 2010. "Anthropometry and socioeconomics in the couple: evidence from the PSID," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-16, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Jorge González-Chapela, 2010. "Things that make us different: analysis of variance in the use of time," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.