The diffusion of Internet: a cross-country analysis
AbstractThis paper analyzes the process of Internet diffusion across the world using a panel of 214 countries during the period 1990-2004. Countries are classified as low and high-income and it is shown that the diffusion process is characterized by a different S-shape in each group. The estimated diffusion curves provide evidence of very slow "catching up". The paper also explores the determinants of Internet diffusion and shows that network effects are crucial to explain this process. One important finding is that the degree of competition in the provision of Internet contributes positively to its diffusion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie) in its series Working Papers. Serie AD with number 2010-07.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by Ivie
Technological diffusion; Internet; S-shape curve; Network externalities; Digital divide;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-ICT-2010-07-03 (Information & Communication Technologies)
- NEP-NET-2010-07-03 (Network Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- José J. Sempere Monerris & Rafael Moner Colonques & Amparo Urbano Salvador, 2010. "Trade liberalization in vertically related markets," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-09, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Cuberes, David & Dougan, William, 2009.
"How Endogenous Is Money? Evidence from a New Microeconomic Estimate,"
17744, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Cuberes & William R. Dougan, 2010. "How Endogenous Is Money? Evidence from a New Microeconomic Estimate," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-08, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Lars-Hendrik Roller & Leonard Waverman, 2001.
"Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 909-923, September.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Leonard Waverman, 1996. "Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," CIG Working Papers FS IV 96-16, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Röller, Lars-Hendrik & Waverman, Leonard, 2000. "Telecommunications Infrastructure And Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 2399, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Diego Comin & Bart Hobijn, 2003.
"Cross-country technology adoption: making the theories face the facts,"
169, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Comin, D. & Hobijn, B., 2004. "Cross-country technology adoption: making the theories face the facts," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 39-83, January.
- Diego Comin & Bart Hobijn & Emilie Rovito, 2006. "Five Facts You Need to Know About Technology Diffusion," NBER Working Papers 11928, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andres, Luis & Cuberes, David & Diouf, Mame Astou & Serebrisky, Tomas, 2007. "Diffusion of the internet : a cross-country analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4420, The World Bank.
- PENARD Thierry & POUSSING Nicolas & MUKOKO Blaise & TAMOKWE Georges Bertrand, 2013. "Internet adoption and usage patterns in Africa: Evidence from Cameroon," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2013-22, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Srinuan, Chalita & Bohlin, Erik, 2011. "Understanding the digital divide: A literature survey and ways forward," 22nd European Regional ITS Conference, Budapest 2011: Innovative ICT Applications - Emerging Regulatory, Economic and Policy Issues 52191, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Corrado Benassi & Marcella Scrimitore, 2013. "Income Distribution in Network Markets," Working Paper Series 13_13, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Francisco Martínez-Sánchez & Miguel González-Maestre, 2010. "The role of program quality and publicly-owned platforms in the free to air broadcasting industry," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-19, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Jorge González-Chapela, 2010. "Things that make us different: analysis of variance in the use of time," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Thierry Pénard & Nicolas Poussing & Gabriel Zomo Yebe & Philémon Nsi Ella, 2012.
"Comparing the Determinants of Internet and Cell Phone Use in Africa : Evidence from Gabon,"
Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen)
201217, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Thierry PENARD & Nicolas POUSSING & Gabriel ZOMO YEBE & Philémon NSI ELLA, 2012. "Comparing the Determinants of Internet and Cell Phone Use in Africa: Evidence from Gabon," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 1(86), pages 65-83, 2nd quart.
- Andres, Luis & Zentner, Alejandro & Zentner, Joaquin, 2014. "Measuring the effect of internet adoption on paper consumption," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6965, The World Bank.
- Sonia Oreffice & Climent Quintana, 2009.
"Anthropometry and Socioeconomics in the Couple: Evidence from the PSID,"
- Climent Quintana Domeque & Sonia Oreffice, 2010. "Anthropometry and socioeconomics in the couple: evidence from the PSID," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-16, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Wolfgang Briglauer, 2014. "The impact of regulation and competition on the adoption of fiber-based broadband services: recent evidence from the European union member states," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 51-79, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.