Strategic truth and deception
AbstractWe study strategic communication in a sender-receiver gamein which the sender sends a message about the observed quality ofthe good to the receiver who may accept or reject the good without knowing the true quality or the sender's type. The game has infinitely many perfect Bayesian Nash equilibria. An equilibrium refinement identifies a unique class of equilibria that are outcome equivalent to the equilibrium in which the neutral sender always tells the truth and the biased sender adopts a feigning strategy to disguise himself by not fully exaggerating about the quality of the good.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie) in its series Working Papers. Serie AD with number 2009-24.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by Ivie
Cheap Talk; Feigning Strategy; Strategic Information Transmission.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- C78 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Bargaining Theory; Matching Theory
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CTA-2010-07-03 (Contract Theory & Applications)
- NEP-GTH-2010-07-03 (Game Theory)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alfonso Rosa García & Hubert Janos Kiss & Ismael Rodríguez Lara, 2009.
"Do social networks prevent bank runs?,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2009-25, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Hubert Janos Kiss & Ismael Rodriguez-Lara & Alfonso Rosa-Garcia, 2012. "Do Social Networks Prevent Bank Runs?," Discussion Papers in Economic Behaviour 0812, University of Valencia, ERI-CES.
- Garcia-Rosa, Alfonso & Kiss, Hubert Janos & Rodriguez-Lara, Ismael, 2010. "Do Social Networks Prevent Bank Runs?," UMUFAE Economics Working Papers 9723, DIGITUM. Universidad de Murcia.
- Aurora Gómez Galvarriato & Cesar Guerrero-Luchtenberg, 2010. "Timing of protectionism," Working Papers. Serie AD 2010-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Ramón Faulí-Oller, 2009. "Mergers of retailers with limited selling capacity," Working Papers. Serie AD 2009-26, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Empar Pons Blasco & Luisa Escriche Bertolín, 2009. "Who moves up the career ladder? A model of gender differences in job promotion," Working Papers. Serie AD 2009-23, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.