Specification Tests for the Distribution of Errors in Nonoarametric Regression: A Martingale Approach
AbstractWe discuss how to test whether the distribution of regression errors belongs to a parametric family of continuous distribution functions, making no parametric assumption about the conditional mean or the conditional variance in the regression model. We propose using test statistics that are based on a martingale transform of the estimated empirical process. We prove that these statistics are asymptotically distribution-free, and two Monte Carlo experiments show that they work reasonably well in practice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie) in its series Working Papers. Serie AD with number 2008-11.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by Ivie
Specification Tests; Nonparametric Regression; Empirical Processes.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2008-07-20 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ORE-2008-07-20 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2008. "Uniform Convergence Rates For Kernel Estimation With Dependent Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 726-748, June.
- Durbin, J., 1973. "Weak convergence of the sample distribution function when parameters are estimated," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Testing Parametric Conditional Distributions of Dynamic Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 531-549, August.
- Juan Mora, 2005. "The Two-Sample Problem With Regression Errors: An Empirical Process Approach," Working Papers. Serie AD 2005-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Koul, Hira L. & Sakhanenko, Lyudmila, 2005. "Goodness-of-fit testing in regression: A finite sample comparison of bootstrap methodology and Khmaladze transformation," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 290-302, October.
- Michael G. Akritas, 2001. "Non-parametric Estimation of the Residual Distribution," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 28(3), pages 549-567.
- FernÃ¡ndez, C. & Steel, M.F.J., 1996. "On Bayesian Modelling of Fat Tails and Skewness," Discussion Paper 1996-58, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Heuchenne, Cédric & Van Keilegom, Ingrid, 2010. "Goodness-of-fit tests for the error distribution in nonparametric regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 1942-1951, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.