A Bootstrap Approach To Test The Conditional Symmetry In Time Series Models
AbstractThis paper discusses how to test for conditional symmetry in time seriesregression models. To that end, we utilize the Bai and Ng test. We also examinethe performance of some popular (unconditional) symmetry tests for observationswhen applied to regression residuals. The tests considered include the coeficientof skewness, a joint test of the third and fifth moments, the Runs test, the Wilcoxonsigned-rank test and the Triples test. An easy-to-implement symmetric bootstrapprocedure is proposed to calculate critical values for these tests. Consistency of thebootstrap procedure will be shown. A simple Monte Carlo experiment isconducted to explore the finite-sample properties of all the tests.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie) in its series Working Papers. Serie AD with number 2006-18.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by Ivie
Near Epoch Dependence; Nonparametric tests; Conditional symmetry; Boot- strap; Monte Carlo simulation;
Other versions of this item:
- Perez-Alonso, Alicia, 2007. "A bootstrap approach to test the conditional symmetry in time series models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 3484-3504, April.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-08-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2006-08-05 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2006-08-05 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allan D. Brunner, 1990.
"Conditional asymmetries in real GNP: a semi-nonparametric approach,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.)
140, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brunner, Allan D, 1992. "Conditional Asymmetries in Real GNP: A Seminonparametric Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(1), pages 65-72, January.
- Hartz, Christoph & Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc, 2006. "Accurate value-at-risk forecasting based on the normal-GARCH model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2295-2312, December.
- Franses,Philip Hans & Dijk,Dick van, 2000.
"Non-Linear Time Series Models in Empirical Finance,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521770415, 9.
- Franses,Philip Hans & Dijk,Dick van, 2000. "Non-Linear Time Series Models in Empirical Finance," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521779654, 9.
- Davidson, Russell & Flachaire, Emmanuel, 2008.
"The wild bootstrap, tamed at last,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 162-169, September.
- Davidson, R. & Flachaire, E., 1999. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a32, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2001. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," Working Papers 1000, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2000. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1413, Econometric Society.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2001. "The wild bootstrap, tamed at last," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6560, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Emmanuel Flachaire, 2001. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 58, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- J. Bradford De Long & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986. "Are Business Cycles Symmetric?," NBER Working Papers 1444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Calzolari, Giorgio & Panattoni, Lorenzo, 1996.
"Analytic Derivatives and the Computation of GARCH Estimates,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 399-417, July-Aug..
- Fiorentini,G. & Calzolari,G. & Panattoni,L., 1995. "Analytic Derivatives and the Computation of Garch Estimates," Papers 9519, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Hodgson, Douglas J., 1998.
"Adaptive Estimation Of Error Correction Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 44-69, February.
- Bai, Jushan & Ng, Serena, 2001. "A consistent test for conditional symmetry in time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1-2), pages 225-258, July.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M. & White, Halbert, 1988. "Some Invariance Principles and Central Limit Theorems for Dependent Heterogeneous Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(02), pages 210-230, August.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1988. "Adaptive estimation of regression models via moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 301-339, July.
- Whitney K. Newey & Douglas G. Steigerwald, 1997. "Asymptotic Bias for Quasi-Maximum-Likelihood Estimators in Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 587-600, May.
- Randal Verbrugge Randal Verbrugge, 1997. "Investigating Cyclical Asymmetries," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-10, April.
- Hussey, Robert, 1992. "Nonparametric evidence on asymmetry in business cycles using aggregate employment time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1-2), pages 217-231.
- Chen, Cathy W.S. & Gerlach, Richard & So, Mike K.P., 2006. "Comparison of nonnested asymmetric heteroskedastic models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2164-2178, December.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1987. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Time Series Model for Speculative Prices and Rates of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 542-47, August.
- Jorge Belaire-Franch & Dulce Contreras, 2002. "A Pearson's test for symmetry with an application to the Spanish business cycle," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 221-238.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Fosgerau, Mogens, 2009.
"Neoclassical versus frontier production models? Testing for the skewness of regression residuals,"
24208, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Timo Kuosmanen & Mogens Fosgerau, 2009. "Neoclassical versus Frontier Production Models? Testing for the Skewness of Regression Residuals," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 111(2), pages 351-367, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.