Advertising, Brand Loyalty And Pricing
AbstractI construct a model in which an oligopoly first invests in persuasive advertising in order to induce brand loyalty to consumers who would otherwise buy the cheapest alternative on the market, and then competes in prices. Despite ex-ante symmetry, at equilibrium, there is one firm which chooses a lower advertising level, while the remaining ones choose the same higher advertising. For the endogenous profile of advertising expenditure, there are a family of pricing equilibria with at least two firms randomizing on prices. The setting oﬀers a way of modelling homogenous product markets where persuasive advertising creates subjective product diﬀerentiation and changes the nature of subsequent price competition. The pricing stage of the model can be regarded as a variant of the Model of Sales by Varian (1980) and the two stage game as a way to endogenize consumers heterogeneity raising a robustness question to VarianÂ¿s symmetric setting.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie) in its series Working Papers. Serie AD with number 2005-32.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by Ivie
oligopoly; advertising; price dispersion; brand loyalty;
Other versions of this item:
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- M37 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Advertising
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2006-02-07 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2006-02-14 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2006-02-07 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-MKT-2006-02-07 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bloch, Francis & Manceau, Delphine, 1999. "Persuasive advertising in Hotelling's model of product differentiation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 557-574, May.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1976. "A Model of Promotional Competition in Oligopoly," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(3), pages 493-507, October.
- Narasimhan, Chakravarthi, 1988. "Competitive Promotional Strategies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(4), pages 427-49, October.
- Kyle Bagwell, 2005.
"The Economic Analysis of Advertising,"
0506-01, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- McAfee R. Preston, 1994. "Endogenous Availability, Cartels, and Merger in an Equilibrium Price Dispersion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 24-47, February.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Levin, Dan, 1986. "Estimating Dynamic Demand for Cigarettes Using Panel Data: The Effects of Bootlegging, Taxation and Advertising Reconsidered," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(1), pages 148-55, February.
- Metwally, M M, 1976. "Profitability of Advertising in Australia: A Case Study," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 221-31, March.
- Rosenthal, Robert W, 1980. "A Model in Which an Increase in the Number of Sellers Leads to a Higher Price," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(6), pages 1575-79, September.
- Friedman, James, 1993.
Handbook of Mathematical Economics,
in: K. J. Arrow & M.D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 4, volume 2, chapter 11, pages 491-534
- AMIR, Rabah & WOODERS, John, 1997.
"One-way spillovers, endogenous innovator/imitator roles and research joint ventures,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1997027, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Amir, Rabah & Wooders, John, 2000. "One-Way Spillovers, Endogenous Innovator/Imitator Roles, and Research Joint Ventures," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-25, April.
- Amir, Rabah & Wooders, John, 1997. "One-Way Spillovers, Endogenous Innovator/Imitator Roles and Research Joint Ventures," Economics Series 43, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Rabah Amir & John Wooders, 1998. "One-Way Spillovers, Endogenous Innovator/Imitator Roles and Research Jointventures," CIE Discussion Papers 1998-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Baye, Michael & Morgan, John, 2004.
"Brand and Price Advertising in Online Markets,"
Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series
qt9760k3hz, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Michael Baye & John Morgan, 2005. "Brand and Price Advertising in Online Markets," Microeconomics 0504009, EconWPA.
- Michael R. Baye & John Morgan, 2005. "Brand and Price Advertising in Online Markets," Working Papers 2005-08, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Victor Tremblay & Stephen Polasky, 2002. "Advertising with Subjective Horizontal and Vertical Product Differentiation," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 253-265, May.
- Colin Camerer & George Loewenstein & Drazen Prelec, 2003. "Neuroeconomics: How neuroscience can inform economics," Levine's Bibliography 506439000000000484, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Daniel Kahneman, 2003. "Maps of Bounded Rationality: Psychology for Behavioral Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1449-1475, December.
- Von der Fehr, N.H.M. & Stevik, K., 1996.
"Persuasive Advertising and Product Differentiation,"
01/1996, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Nils-Henrik M. von der Fehr & Kristin Stevik, 1998. "Persuasive Advertising and Product Differentiation," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(1), pages 113-126, July.
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 2004.
"Search, Obfuscation, and Price Elasticities on the Internet,"
NBER Working Papers
10570, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 2009. "Search, Obfuscation, and Price Elasticities on the Internet," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(2), pages 427-452, 03.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Maskin, Eric, 1986. "The Existence of Equilibrium in Discontinuous Economic Games, I: Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Baye, Michael R. & Kovenock, Dan & de Vries, Casper G., 1992. "It takes two to tango: Equilibria in a model of sales," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 493-510, October.
- Kelton, Christina M L & Kelton, W David, 1982. "Advertising and Intraindustry Brand Shift in the U.S. Brewing Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 293-303, March.
- Klemperer, Paul, 1987. "Markets with Consumer Switching Costs," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 102(2), pages 375-94, May.
- Butters, Gerard R, 1977. "Equilibrium Distributions of Sales and Advertising Prices," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 465-91, October.
- Varian, Hal R, 1980. "A Model of Sales," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 651-59, September.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Oligopoly Pricing: Old Ideas and New Tools," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026272040x, December.
- Klemperer, Paul D, 1987. "Entry Deterrence in Markets with Consumer Switching Costs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388a), pages 99-117, Supplemen.
- Loewenstein, George, 2001. " The Creative Destruction of Decision Research," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(3), pages 499-505, December.
- George J. Stigler, 1961. "The Economics of Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69, pages 213.
- Robert, Jacques & Stahl, Dale O, II, 1993. "Informative Price Advertising in a Sequential Search Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 657-86, May.
- Stahl, Dale O, II, 1989. "Oligopolistic Pricing with Sequential Consumer Search," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 700-712, September.
- James H. Pedrick & Fred S. Zufryden, 1991. "Evaluating the Impact of Advertising Media Plans: A Model of Consumer Purchase Dynamics Using Single-Source Data," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(2), pages 111-130.
- Eliaz, Kfir & Spiegler, Ran, 2006.
"Consideration Sets and Competitive Marketing,"
21434, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 03 Sep 2009.
- Zhang, Xu & Goddard, Ellen W., 2010. "Analysis of Value-Added Meat Product Choice Behaviour by Canadian Households," Project Report Series 99703, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
- Konrad, Kai A., 2010. "Merger profitability in industries with brand portfolios and loyal customers," Discussion Papers, Research Professorship & Project "The Future of Fiscal Federalism" SP II 2010-08, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Nadine Lindstädt & Oliver Budzinski, 2011.
"Newspaper vs. Online Advertising – Is There a Niche for Newspapers in Modern Advertising Markets?,"
113/11, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Environmental and Business Economics.
- Lindstädt, Nadine & Budzinski, Oliver, 2012. "Newspaper vs. online advertising - Is there a niche for newspapers in modern advertising markets?," Ilmenau Economics Discussion Papers 73, Ilmenau University of Technology, Institute of Economics.
- Justine S. Hastings & Ali Hortaçsu & Chad Syverson, 2013. "Advertising and Competition in Privatized Social Security: The Case of Mexico," NBER Working Papers 18881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Il-Horn Hann & Kai-Lung Hui & Sang-Yong Tom Lee & Ivan P.L. Png, 2005. "Sales and Promotions: A More General Model," Industrial Organization 0508014, EconWPA.
- Robert Schmidt, 2013. "Price competition and innovation in markets with brand loyalty," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 109(2), pages 147-173, June.
- Astorne-Figari, Carmen & Yankelevich, Aleksandr, 2014. "Consumer search with asymmetric price sampling," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 331-333.
- de Frutos, Maria-Angeles & Ornaghi, Carmine & Siotis, Georges, 2010.
"Competition in the Pharmaceutical Industry: How do Quality Differences Shape Advertising Strategies?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8076, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de Frutos, Maria-Angeles & Ornaghi, Carmine & Siotis, Georges, 2013. "Competition in the pharmaceutical industry: How do quality differences shape advertising strategies?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 268-285.
- Marco A. Haan & Jose Luis Moraga-Gonzalez, 2009. "Advertising for Attention in a Consumer Search Model," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-031/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Il-Horn Hann & Kai-Lung Hui & Sang-Yong Tom Lee & Ivan Png, 2005. "Consumer Privacy and Marketing Avoidance," Industrial Organization 0503009, EconWPA.
- Xia, Yu, 2011. "Competitive strategies and market segmentation for suppliers with substitutable products," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(2), pages 194-203, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.