Selling Shares To Retail Investors: Auction Vs. Fixed Price
AbstractWe analyze the problem of selling shares of a divisible good to a large number of buyers when demand is uncertain. We characterize equilibria of two popular mechanisms, a fixed price mechanism and a uniform price auction, and compare the revenues. While in the auction truthful bidding is a dominant strategy, we find that bidders have an incentive to overstate their demand in the fixed price mechanism. For some parameter values this yields the surprising result that the fixed price mechanism outperforms the auction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie) in its series Working Papers. Serie AD with number 2004-08.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by Ivie
IPO; Uniform Price Auction; Open Offer; Proportional Rationing.;
Other versions of this item:
- Jürgen Bierbaum & Veronika Grimm, 2006. "Selling shares to retail investors: auction vs. fixed price," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 85-112, August.
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- D45 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Rationing; Licensing
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sherman, Ann E. & Titman, Sheridan, 2002.
"Building the IPO order book: underpricing and participation limits with costly information,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 3-29, July.
- Ann E. Sherman & Sheridan Titman, 2000. "Building the IPO Order Book: Underpricing and Participation Limits With Costly Information," NBER Working Papers 7786, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Biais, Bruno & Faugeron-Crouzet, Anne-Marie, 2000.
"IPO Auctions: English, Dutch, ... French and Internet,"
IDEI Working Papers
104, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Biais, Bruno & Faugeron-Crouzet, Anne Marie, 2002. "IPO Auctions: English, Dutch, ... French, and Internet," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 9-36, January.
- Nautz, D. & Wolfstetter, E., 1997. "Bid shading and risk aversion in multi-unit auctions with many bidders," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 195-200, October.
- Nautz, D., 1995. "Optimal bidding in multi-unit auctions with many bidders," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(3-4), pages 301-306, June.
- Antonio Villar Notario & Carmen Herrero Blanco, 2000.
"The Three Musketeers: Four Classical Solutions To Bankruptcy Problems,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2000-23, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Herrero, Carmen & Villar, Antonio, 2001. "The three musketeers: four classical solutions to bankruptcy problems," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 307-328, November.
- Back, Kerry & Zender, Jaime F, 1993. "Auctions of Divisible Goods: On the Rationale for the Treasury Experiment," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(4), pages 733-64.
- repec:wop:humbsf:2000-72 is not listed on IDEAS
- Veronika Grimm & Jaromir Kovarik & Giovanni Ponti, 2008.
"Fixed price plus rationing: an experiment,"
Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 402-422, December.
- Veronika Grimm & Giovanni Ponti & Jaromir Kovarik, 2006. "Fixed priced plus rationing: An experiment," Working Papers. Serie AD 2006-26, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- GRIMM, Veronika & KOVARIK, Jaromir & PONTI, Giovanni, 2005. "Fixed price plus rationing: an experiment," CORE Discussion Papers 2005039, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ravi Jagannathan & Ann E. Sherman, 2006. "Why Do IPO Auctions Fail?," NBER Working Papers 12151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ping Zhang, 2009. "Characterization of Pure Strategy Equilibria in Uniform Price IPO Auctions," Discussion Papers 2009-05, The Centre for Decision Research and Experimental Economics, School of Economics, University of Nottingham.
- Guray Kucukkocaoglu & Ozge Sezgin Alp, 2012. "IPO mechanism selection by using Classification and Regression Trees," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 873-888, April.
- Guray Kucukkocaoglu, 2007. "Underpricing in Turkey: Comparison of the IPO Methods," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 8, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.