- On The Choice Of A Power Index
AbstractIn this paper, we review and compare the main power indices to be found in the literature, that is to say, the Shapley-Shubik index, the Banzhaf index, the Johnston index, the Deegan-Packel index, and the Holler-Packel index. Three diferent approaches are used. First, the power indices are compared on the basis of a priori properties that they should satisfy. Second, a players power indices are compared on the basis of a priori properties that they shoud satisfy. Second, a players power is interpreted as the probability of her or his vote being necessary to pass a proposal. We present two models consistent with this approach: a model in which this probability arises from the assumptions made on the coalition formation and model, in which it arises from the assumptions made on the players voting behavior. Third, a players power is dened as her or his probability of playing a crucial role. Some power indices are derived from diferent assessments concerning the probability of playing such a role. Illustrations of the choice of an index are given for actual decision-making processes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie) in its series Working Papers. Serie AD with number 1999-10.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: May 1999
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by Ivie
Collective Decision Making; Power Indices;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M Laver, 1978. "The problems of measuring power in Europe," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 10(8), pages 901-905, August.
- R J Johnston, 1978. "On the measurement of power: some reactions to Laver," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 10(8), pages 907-914, August.
- Edelman, Paul H., 1997. "A note on voting," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 37-50, August.
- Federico Valenciano & Annick Laruelle, 2000. "- On The Measurement Of Inequality In The Distribution Of Power In Voting Procedures," Working Papers. Serie AD 2000-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- (*), Gerard van der Laan & RenÊ van den Brink, 1998. "Axiomatizations of the normalized Banzhaf value and the Shapley value," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 567-582.
- Laruelle, Annick & Widgren, Mika, 1996.
"Is the allocation of voting power among EU states fair?,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1996022, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Annick Laruelle & Mika Widgrén, 1998. "Is the allocation of voting power among EU states fair?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 94(3), pages 317-339, March.
- Laruelle, Annick & Widgren, Mika, 1998. " Is the Allocation of Voting Power among EU States Fair?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 94(3-4), pages 317-39, March.
- Dan Felsenthal & Moshé Machover & William Zwicker, 1998. "The Bicameral Postulates and Indices of a Priori Voting Power," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 83-116, January.
- J. Alonso-Meijide & F. Carreras & M. Fiestras-Janeiro, 2005. "The Multilinear Extension and the Symmetric Coalition Banzhaf Value," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 59(2), pages 111-126, 09.
- WidgrÉn, Mika, 2002.
"On the Probabilistic Relationship between the Public Good Index and the Normalized Banzhaf Index,"
707, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Mika Widgrén, 2002. "On the Probablistic Relationship between the Public Good Index and the Normalized Bannzhaf Index," Homo Oeconomicus, Institute of SocioEconomics, vol. 19, pages 373-386.
- Harrie De Swart & Agnieszka Rusinowska, 2007. "On some properties of the Hoede-Bakker index," Post-Print halshs-00201414, HAL.
- Carreras, Francesc, 2005. "A decisiveness index for simple games," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 163(2), pages 370-387, June.
- Donal G. Saari & Katri K. Sieberg, 1999. "Some Surprising Properties of Power Indices," Discussion Papers 1271, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Federico Valenciano & Annick Laruelle, 2000. "- Shapley-Shubik And Banzhaf Indices Revisited," Working Papers. Serie AD 2000-02, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.