Structural Changes and Interregional Income Inequality in the Philippines, 1975-2009
AbstractThe Philippines has undergone gradual but substantial changes in industrial structure over the past few decades, and these have been associated with the change in the geographical distribution of economic activity. This study analyzes changes in the determinants of regional income inequality in the Philippines associated with these structural changes from 1975 to 2009. This is accomplished by using the bi-dimensional decomposition method. The reduction of the disparity between the National Capital Region (NCR) and the rest of Luzon is essential to decreasing Luzonfs high within-region inequality and overall interregional inequality. But this is not easy to accomplish, since services sectors have enjoyed agglomeration economies that NCR has nurtured under economic liberalization and globalization. Decentralization has been one way to ameliorate the disparity, but its effects are ambiguous. Another option would be to relocate some manufacturing activities to areas outside NCR where they could enjoy localization economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute, International University of Japan in its series Working Papers with number EMS_2013_14.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 777 Kokusai-cho, Minami Uonuma0-shi, Niigata 949-7277 JAPAN
Web page: http://www.iuj.ac.jp/research/
More information through EDIRC
structural change; regional income inequality; the Philippines; bi-dimensional decomposition; weighted coefficient of variation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-LTV-2013-10-05 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
- NEP-PBE-2013-10-05 (Public Economics)
- NEP-URE-2013-10-05 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balisacan, Arsenio M. & Fuwa, Nobuhiko, 2003. "Growth, inequality and politics revisited: a developing-country case," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 53-58, April.
- Manasan, Rosario G. & Mercado, Ruben G., 1999. "Regional Economic Growth and Convergence in the Philippines: 1975-1997," Discussion Papers DP 1999-13, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Takahiro Akita & Puji Agus Kurniawan & Sachiko Miyata, 2009.
"Structural Changes and Regional Income Inequality in Indonesia: A Bi-dimensional Decomposition Analysis,"
EMS_2009_13, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Takahiro Akita & Puji Agus Kurniawan & Sachiko Miyata, 2011. "Structural Changes and Regional Income Inequality in Indonesia: A Bidimensional Decomposition Analysis," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 55-77, 03.
- Joseph J. Capuno, 2012. "Agglomeration And Sub-Regional Disparities Under Decentralization: Evidence Of Spatial Clustering Of Land Values In The Philippines," Review of Urban & Regional Development Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 106-120, November.
- Robert J. Barro, 2012.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
CEMA Working Papers
568, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Mapa, Dennis S. & Balisacan, Arsenio & Briones, Kristine Joy S. & Albis, Manuel Leonard F., 2009. "What really matters for income growth in the Philippines: Empirical evidence from provincial data," MPRA Paper 19449, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M. & Fuwa, Nobuhiko, 2004. "Changes in Spatial Income Inequality in the Philippines: An Exploratory Analysis," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Mercado, Ruben G., 2002. "Regional Development in the Philippines: A Review of Experience, State of the Art and Agenda for Research and Action," Discussion Papers DP 2002-03, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Takahiro Akita & Sachiko Miyata, 2010. "The bi-dimensional decomposition of regional inequality based on the weighted coefficient of variation," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 91-100, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kazumi Imai, Office of Academic Affairs).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.