Parameter-Based Decision Making Under Estimation Risk: An Application to Futures Trading
AbstractThis study shows how the standard portfolio model of futures trading should be modified when there is less than perfect information about the relevant parameters (estimation risk). The standard and the optimal decision rules for futures trading in the presence of estimation risk are compared and discussed. An operational model of futures trading for use under estimation risk is advanced. In the presence of relevant prior and sample information, the model can be used to optimally blend both types of information. Copyright 1994 by American Finance Association.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 693.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 1994
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Finance, March 1994, vol. 49 no. 1, pp. 345-357
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Lence, Sergio H & Hayes, Dermot J, 1994. " Parameter-Based Decision Making under Estimation Risk: An Application to Futures Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 345-57, March.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rahman, Shaikh Mahfuzur & Dorfman, Jeffrey H. & Turner, Steven C., 2002.
"A Bayesian Approach To Optimal Cross-Hedging Of Cottonseed Products Using Soybean Complex Futures,"
2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA
19708, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Rahman, Shaikh Mahfuzur & Dorfman, Jeffrey H. & Turner, Steven C., 2004. "A Bayesian Approach to Optimal Cross-Hedging of Cottonseed Products Using Soybean Complex Futures," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), August.
- Wang, Xuecai & Dorfman, Jeffrey H. & McKissick, John C. & Turner, Steven C., 2001. "Optimal Marketing Decisions For Feeder Cattle Under Price And Production Risk," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(03), December.
- Lence, Sergio H. & Hayes, Dermot J., 1995.
"Land Allocation in the Presence of Estimation Risk,"
Staff General Research Papers
995, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lence, Sergio H. & Hayes, Dermot J., 1995. "Land Allocation In The Presence Of Estimation Risk," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- David J. Pannell & Getu Hailu & Alfons Weersink & Amanda Burt, 2008.
"More reasons why farmers have so little interest in futures markets,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(1), pages 41-50, 07.
- Pannell, David J. & Hailu, Getu & Weersink, Alfons & Burt, Amanda, 2007. "More Reasons Why Farmers Have So Little Interest in Futures Markets," Working Papers 9232, University of Western Australia, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Power, Gabriel J. & Vedenov, Dmitry V., 2008. "The Shape of the Optimal Hedge Ratio: Modeling Joint Spot-Futures Prices using an Empirical Copula-GARCH Model," 2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri 37609, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Raphael Markellos & Terence Mills, 2003. "Asset pricing dynamics," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(6), pages 533-556.
- Hiroyuki Kashima, 2005. "An application of a minimax Bayes rule and shrinkage estimators to the portofolio selection problem under the Bayesian approach," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 46(4), pages 523-540, October.
- Shi, Wei & Irwin, Scott H., 2005. "A Bayesian Implementation of the Standard Optimal Hedging Model: Parameter Estimation Risk and Subjective Views," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19155, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.