Time Path and Implementation of Carbon Sequestration (The)
AbstractWe develop a dynamic model to investigate the optimal time paths of carbon emissions, sequestration, and the carbon stock. We show that carbon sinks should be utilized as early as possible, and carbon flow into sinks should last until the atmospheric carbon concentration is stabilized. We rule out any cyclical patterns of carbon sequestration and release. We propose and assess three mechanisms to efficiently introduce sequestration into a carbon permit trading market: a pay-as-you-go system, a variable-length-contract system and a carbon annuity account system. Although the three mechanisms may not be equally feasible to implement, they are all efficient.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 5068.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2002
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in American Journal of Agricultural Economics, February 2002, vol. 84 no. 1, pp. 134-149
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Feng, Hongli & Kling, Catherine L., 2005. "Carbon Sequestration in Agriculture: an Offset Program versus Other Conservation Programs," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19177, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Feng, Hongli & Kling, Catherine L., 2005.
"Consequences of Co-Benefits for the Efficient Design of Carbon Sequestration Programs, The,"
Staff General Research Papers
12269, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hongli Feng & Catherine L. Kling, 2005. "Consequences of Co-benefits for the Efficient Design of Carbon Sequestration Programs, The," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 05-wp390, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00505137 is not listed on IDEAS
- Xabadia, Angels & Goetz, Renan-Ulrich & Zilberman, David, 2005. "Technology Adoption by Heterogeneous Producers to Regulate a Stock Externality," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19538, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Stéphane De Cara & Martin Houzé & Pierre-Alain Jayet, 2004.
"Greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture in the EU: A spatial assessment of sources and abatement costs,"
2004/04, INRA, Economie Publique.
- de Cara, Stephane & Houze, Martin & Jayet, Pierre-Alain, 2004. "Greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture in the EU: A spatial assessment of sources and abatement costs," 2004 Conference (48th), February 11-13, 2004, Melbourne, Australia 58401, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Gulati, Sumeet & Vercammen, James, 2006.
"Time inconsistent resource conservation contracts,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 454-468, July.
- de Cara, Stephane & Rozakis, Stelios, 2004.
"Carbon sequestration through the planting of multi-annual energy crops: A dynamic and spatial assessment,"
Agricultural Economics Review,
Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 5(1), January.
- Stéphane De Cara & Stelios Rozakis, 2004. "Carbon sequestration through the planting of multi-annual energy crops: A dynamic and spatial assessment," Working Papers 2004/05, INRA, Economie Publique.
- Haim, David & Plantinga, Andrew J. & Thomann, Enrique, 2014. "The optimal time path for carbon abatement and carbon sequestration under uncertainty: The case of stochastic targeted stock," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 151-165.
- A. Caparrós & E. Cerdá & P. Ovando & P. Campos, 2007.
"Carbon Sequestration with Reforestations and Biodiversity-Scenic Values,"
2007.28, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Alejandro Caparrós & Emilio Cerdá & Paola Ovando & Pablo Campos, 2010. "Carbon Sequestration with Reforestations and Biodiversity-scenic Values," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 45(1), pages 49-72, January.
- de Cara, Stephane & Rozakis, Stelios, 2003. "Carbon sequestration in agricultural soils: A dynamic assessment," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21913, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Xabadia, Angels & Goetz, Renan U. & Zilberman, David, 2006. "Control of accumulating stock pollution by heterogeneous producers," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1105-1130, July.
- Lionel Ragot & Katheline Schubert, 2006.
"The optimal carbon sequestration in agricultural soils : does the dynamics of the physical process matter ?,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
v06040, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Ragot, Lionel & Schubert, Katheline, 2008. "The optimal carbon sequestration in agricultural soils: Do the dynamics of the physical process matter?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 3847-3865, December.
- Mireille Chiroleu-Assouline & Sebastien Roussel, 2014. "Payments for Carbon Sequestration in Agricultural Soils: Incentives for the Future and Rewards for the Past," CEEES Paper Series CE3S-01/14, European University at St. Petersburg, Department of Economics.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00115685 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hediger, Werner, 2009. "The non-permanence of optimal soil carbon sequestration," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland 51057, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Ervola, Asta & Lankoski, Jussi E. & Ollikainen, Markku, 2010. "Mitigation options and policies in agricultural sector: a theoretical model and application," 120th Seminar, September 2-4, 2010, Chania, Crete 109320, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.