Agricultural Markets As Relative Performance Evaluation
AbstractRelative performance schemes such as tournaments are commonly used in markets for a variety of livestock and processing commodities, while explicit versions of these schemes are rarely used in markets for fresh fruits and vegetables and specialty grains. We show how contracts for these latter commodities do in fact provide relative performance incentives, albeit indirectly, via a payment mechanism that depends on market prices. In such contracts, compensation is often an increasing function of revenue; this implements a relative performance scheme by making each grower's payment an increasing function of his own output but a decreasing function of other's output.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 5036.
Date of creation: 01 May 2001
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in American Journal of Agricultural Economics, May 2001, vol. 83 no. 2, pp. 318-320
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Brent Hueth & Ethan Ligon, 2001. "Agricultural Markets as Relative Performance Evaluation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 318-328.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wu, Steven Y. & Roe, Brian E., 2004. "Tournaments, Risk Perceptions, And Fairness," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20154, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Olmos, Marta Fernandez & Rosell-Martinez, Jorge & Espitia-Escuer, Manuel Antonio, 2008. "On the co-existence of spot and contract markets: an analysis of quality," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6082, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mussell, Al, 2003. "PRICE DISCOVERY MECHANISMS AND ALTERNATIVES FOR CANADIAN AGRICULTURE; Part II: A Review of Pricing Mechanisms from the Economic Literature," Miscellaneous Publications 18100, George Morris Center.
- Olmos, Marta Fernandez & Rosell-Martinez, Jorge & Espitia-Escuer, Manuel Antonio, 2008. "The yield/quality trade-off and contractual choice," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6065, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- van Tilburg, Aad & Trienekens, Jacques H. & Ruben, Ruerd & van Boekel, Martinus A.J.S., 2007. "Governance for quality management in smallholder-based tropical food chains," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7932, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Wu, Steven Y., 2013. "Adapting Contract Theory to Fit Contract Farming," 2014 Allied Social Science Association (ASSA) Annual Meeting, January 3-5, 2014, Philadelphia, PA 161894, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Hueth, Brent & Ligon, Ethan & Dimitri, Carolyn, 2007. "AJAE Appendix: Agricultural Contracts: Data and Research Needs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics Appendices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(5), December.
- Runge, C. Ford, 2006. "Agricultural Economics: A Brief Intellectual History," Staff Papers 13649, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Kosmas Marinakis & Theofanis Tsoulouhas, 2012. "A comparison of cardinal tournaments and piece rate contracts with liquidity constrained agents," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 105(2), pages 161-190, March.
- Fernandez-Olmos, Marta & Rosell-Martinez, Jorge & Espitia-Escuer, Manuel Antonio, 2008. "Double Sided Moral Hazard and Share Contracts in agriculture," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43863, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.