Evaluating the Market and Welfare Impacts of Agricultural Policies in Developed Countries: Comparison of Partial and General Equilibrium Measures
AbstractWe revisit the question of choosing partial equilibrium or general equilibrium modeling in applied policy analysis in the context of evaluating the effects of a complete phase-out of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) of the European Union. We compare the results of three modelsï¾—two three-sector general equilibrium models (one with an additional major distortion in the nonagricultural sector) and a two-sector partial equilibrium model. We find that the market effects of a complete phase-out of the CAP are quite comparable across these models. On the other hand, the measured welfare impacts may depend on the modeling choice.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 12727.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Review of Agricultural Economics, Summer 2006, vol. 28 no. 2, pp. 195-211
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Alexandre Gohin & GianCarlo Moschini, 2006. "Evaluating the Market and Welfare Impacts of Agricultural Policies in Developed Countries: Comparison of Partial and General Equilibrium Measures," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 28(2), pages 195-211.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gohin, Alexandre & Rault, Arnaud, 2013. "Assessing the economic costs of a foot and mouth disease outbreak on Brittany: A dynamic computable general equilibrium analysis," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 97-107.
- Hess, Sebastian & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2007. "Assessing general and partial equilibrium simulations of Doha round outcomes using meta-analysis," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 67, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Niemi, Jyrki S. & Fahlbeck, Erik & Hofreither, Markus F., 2005. "Ten Years After - Welfare Effects of the Application of the CAP in Austria, Finland and Sweden," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24767, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gohin, Alexandre & Rault, Arnaud, 2012. "Assessing the economic costs of an outbreak of Foot and Mouth Disease on Brittany: A dynamic computable general equilibrium approach," 123rd Seminar, February 23-24, 2012, Dublin, Ireland 122438, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gohin, Alexandre & Bureau, Jean-Christophe, 2006. "WTO Discipline and the CAP: the Constraints on the EU Sugar Sector," Working Papers 18872, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis & Gomez y Paloma, Sergio, 2011.
"Distributional Effects of CAP Subsidies: Micro Evidence from the EU,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
114291, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pavel Ciaian & d'Artis Kancs & Sergio Gomez y Paloma, 2010. "Distributional Effects of CAP Subsidies: Micro Evidence from the EU," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2010_05, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Michalek, Jerzy & Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis & Gomez y Paloma, Sergio, 2011. "Distributional Effects of CAP Subsidies: Micro Evidence from the EU," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 102978, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Gohin, Alexandre & Bureau, Jean-Christophe, 2006. "Bridging Micro- and Macro-Analyses of the EU Sugar Program: Methods and Insights," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25799, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Abler, David G., 2006. "Approaches to Measuring the Effects of Trade Agreements," Commissioned Papers 140762, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- Robert M´barek & Ivelin Iliev Rizov, 2013. "European Coexistence Bureau. Best Practice Documents for coexistence of genetically modified crops with conventional and organic farming. 3. Coexistence of genetically modified maize and honey product," JRC-IPTS Working Papers JRC84850, Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Thilo Glebe & Uwe Latacz-Lohmann, 2007. "Agricultural multifunctionality and trade liberalisation," Cahiers d'Economie et Sociologie Rurales, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 82, pages 57-73.
- Gohin, Alexandre & Bureau, Jean-Christophe, 2005. "Sugar Market Liberalization: Modeling the EU Supply of "C" Sugar," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24740, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gohin, Alexandre & Rault, Arnaud, 2012. "Assessing the economic costs of an outbreak of Foot and Mouth Disease on Brittany: A dynamic computable general equilibrium," 86th Annual Conference, April 16-18, 2012, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 134712, Agricultural Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.