Bayesian Inference in the Gravity Model
Abstracthis paper seeks to empirically extend the�gravity model, which has been widely used to analyze volumes of trade between pairs of countries. We generalize the basic threshold tobit model by allowing for the inclusion of country-specific effects into the analysis and also show how one can explore the relationship between trade volumes and a given covariate via a non-parametric approach. We use our derived methodology to investigate the impact of a particular aspect of institutionsâ€”the enforcement of contractsâ€”on bilateral trade. We find that contract enforcement matters in predicting trade volumes for all types of goods, that it matters most for the trade of differentiated goods, and that the relationship between contract enforcement and trade in our threshold tobit exhibits some nonlinearities.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 12721.
Date of creation: 15 Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Applied Econometrics, June/July 2007, vol. 22 no. 4, pp. 817-838
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gregory Corcos & Delphine M. Irac & Giordano Mion & Thierry Verdier, 2012.
"The Determinants of Intrafirm Trade: Evidence from French Firms,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1119, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Gregory Corcos & Delphine M. Irac & Giordano Mion & Thierry Verdier, 2013. "The Determinants of Intrafirm Trade: Evidence from French Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 95(3), pages 825-838, July.
- Corcos, G. & Irac, D. & Mion, G. & Verdier, T., 2012. "The determinants of intrafirm trade: Evidence from French firms," Working papers 362, Banque de France.
- Oxana Babecka Kucharcukova & Jan Babecky & Martin Raiser, 2010. "A Gravity Approach to Modelling International Trade in South-Eastern Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States: The Role of Geography, Policy and Institutions," Working Papers 2010/04, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Xiong, Bo & Chen, Sixia, 2012. "Estimating Gravity Equation Models in the Presence of Sample Selection and Heteroskedasticity," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124530, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Gregory Corcos & Delphine M. Irac & Giordano Mion & Thierry Verdier, 2008.
"The Determinants of Intra-Firm Trade,"
Development Working Papers
267, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Daniel J. Henderson & Daniel L. Millimet, 2008.
"Is gravity linear?,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(2), pages 137-172.
- Christian Volpe Martincus & Jerónimo Carballo, 2010.
"Export Promotion Activities in Developing Countries: What kind of Trade Do They Promote?,"
36761, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Christian Volpe Martincus & Jer�nimo Carballo, 2012. "Export promotion activities in developing countries: What kind of trade do they promote?," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 539-578, June.
- Eaton, Derek J.F., 2009. "Trade and Intellectual Property Rights in the Agricultural Seed Sector," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51782, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.