Re-Evaluation of Welfare Changes During the Transition in Poland
AbstractThe costs of shortages/rationing are not captured by standard consumer price indices. Thus the change in real GDP per capita is an over estimate of welfare losses in transition economies. In this study virtual prices are used to calculate new cost of living indices, making it possible to construct more accurate pre- and postreform welfare comparisons. The results for Poland using virtual prices show 62-84 percent decline in welfare over the transition 1987-92. This welfare loss is approximately one-third the value obtained using actual prices.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 11157.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2002
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Post-Communist Economies 2002, vol. 14 no. 1, pp. 31-46
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Sonya Kostova Huffman & Stanley Johnson, 2002. "Re-evaluation of Welfare Changes during the Transition in Poland," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 31-46.
- Sonya Kostova Huffman & Stanley R. Johnson, 2000. "Re-evaluation of Welfare Changes during the Transition in Poland," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 00-wp255, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Sonya Kostova Huffman & Stanley R. Johnson, 2000. "Re-evaluation of Welfare Changes during the Transition in Poland," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 00-wp255, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Atkinson,Anthony Barnes & Micklewright,John, 1992.
"Economic Transformation in Eastern Europe and the Distribution of Income,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521438827, December.
- Atkinson,Anthony Barnes & Micklewright,John, 1992. "Economic Transformation in Eastern Europe and the Distribution of Income," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521433297, December.
- Podkaminer, Leon, 1988. "Disequilibrium in Poland's consumer markets: Further evidence on intermarket spillovers," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 43-60, March.
- Neary, J. P. & Roberts, K. W. S., 1980.
"The theory of household behaviour under rationing,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 25-42, January.
- Neary, J.P & Roberts, K.W.S, 1978. "The Theory of Household Behaviour under Rationing," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 132, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Mundlak, Yair & Larson, Donald F, 1992. "On the Transmission of World Agricultural Prices," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(3), pages 399-422, September.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Huffman, Sonya Kostova & Ishdorj, Ariun & Jensen, Helen H., 2005. "Consumer Choices and Welfare Gains from New, Healthy Products: A Virtual Price Approach," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19351, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.