Load Shifting Under Voluntary Residential Time-Of-Use Rates
AbstractTime-of-use (TOU) pricing has emerged in recent years as a popular rate program, offering utilities both a more efficient pricing mechanism and a tool for load management. Initial experiments with TOU pricing were generally designed to provide evidence on customer response to mandatory TOU rates, while residential TOU rates are currently being applied on a voluntary basis. In this paper evidence is provided on customer response in Pacific Gas and Electric's voluntary TOU rate experiment. Comparing the results to those obtained in earlier mandatory experiments, volunteers are found to have a greater ability to shift usage in response to TOU rates than comparable customers on mandatory rates.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 10791.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1989
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Energy Journal 1989, vol. 10 no. 4, pp. 83-99
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Douglas W. Caves & Joseph A. Herriges & Kathleen A. Kuester, 1989. "Load Shifting Under Voluntary Residential Time-of-Use Rates," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 83-99.
- F0 - International Economics - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mostafa Baladi, S. & Herriges, Joseph A. & Sweeney, Thomas J., 1998.
"Residential response to voluntary time-of-use electricity rates,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 225-244, September.
- Herriges, Joseph A. & Baladi, S. & Sweeney, T., 1998. "Residential Response to Voluntary Time-Of-Use Electricity Rates," Staff General Research Papers 1233, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ericson, Torgeir, 2011. "Households' self-selection of dynamic electricity tariffs," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(7), pages 2541-2547, July.
- Rasanen, Mika & Ruusunen, Jukka & Hamalainen, Raimo P., 1997. "Optimal tariff design under consumer self-selection," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 151-167, May.
- Rob Lawson & Paul Thorsnes & John Williams, 2011. "Consumer Response to Time Varying Prices for Electricity," Working Papers 1116, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.