Dynamic Corn Supply Functions: A Model with Explicit Optimization
AbstractA model of optimal dynamic agricultural supply is derived and hired assuming farmers have two annual stochastic crop production activities, a joint limitation on production capacity, interdependencies between past acreage utilization and current productivity, and rational expectations. A five-equation specification is fitted to annual data, 1948-80 Estimated parameters are consistent with the theory, and the model simulates well The long-run price elasticity of corn acreage is 0.2, which is similar to those obtained from ad hoc dynamic models, but our short-run elasticities are different.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 10699.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 1988
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in American Journal of Agricultural Economics, February 1988, vol. 70 no. 1, pp. 103-111
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa & Tomek, William G., 2003.
"How Much Of Commodity Price Behavior Can A Rational Expectations Storage Model Explain?,"
30712, Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Hikaru Hanawa Peterson & William G. Tomek, 2005. "How much of commodity price behavior can a rational expectations storage model explain?," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(3), pages 289-303, November.
- Roger Claassen & Richard Horan, 2001. "Uniform and Non-Uniform Second-Best Input Taxes," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 19(1), pages 1-22, May.
- Taffesse, Alemayehu Seyoum, 1997. "Government policy and dynamic supply response: a study of the compulsory grain delivery system," MPRA Paper 18674, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cho, Gyu D., 1992. "Estimation of a Wheat Acreage Response Function for Kansas," Staff Papers 118174, Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Baker, Mindy L. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Babcock, Bruce A., 2008.
"Crop-Based Biofuel Production under Acreage Constraints and Uncertainty,"
2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida
6352, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mindy L. Baker & Dermot J. Hayes & Bruce A. Babcock, 2008. "Crop-Based Biofuel Production under Acreage Constraints and Uncertainty," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 08-wp460, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Boisvert, Richard N. & Peterson, Jeffrey M., 2001. "Control Of Nonpoint Source Pollution Through Voluntary Incentive-Based Policies: An Application To Nitrate Contamination In New York," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 30(2), October.
- Foster, William E. & Babcock, Bruce A., 1993.
"Commodity Policy, Price Incentives, And The Growth In Per-Acre Yields,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(01), July.
- Foster, William E. & Babcock, Bruce A., 1993. "Commodity Policy, Price Incentives, and the Growth in Per-Acre Yields," Staff General Research Papers 10583, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Burton, Diana M. & Love, H. Alan, 1996. "A Review Of Alternative Expectations Regimes In Commodity Markets: Specification, Estimation, And Hypothesis Testing Using Structural Models," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 25(2), October.
- Lin, Chien-Pang & Barkley, Andrew P., 1997. "Declining Commodity Program Payments and Enhanced Environmental Regulations: Impacts on Acreage Allocation in the Great Plains," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35932, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Horan, Richard D. & Claassen, Roger & Cooper, Joseph C., 2000. "Environmental Risk And Agri-Environmental Policy Design," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21827, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Nyairo, Newton Morara & Kola, Jukka & Sumelius, John, 2010. "Impacts of agricultural trade and market liberalization of food security in developing countries: comparative study of Kenya and Zambia," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 96172, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.