Rural/Urban Welfare Program and Labor Force Participation
AbstractMidwestern non-metro poor participate more in the labor force and less in welfare programs than metro poor. We formalize how household composition, capital, labor market conditions, and state-specific regulations define opportunity sets, then estimate a bivariate binomial probit model of work and program participation choices. Oaxaca decomposition analysis is conducted to compare differences in characteristics to differences in behavior in explaining the two groups? choices. We find no behavioral basis for the difference in labor market participation. And while most of the lower Midwestern non-metro welfare program participation is due to demographics, some is due to different life-cycle behavior.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 10306.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2003
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in American Journal of Agricultural Economics, November 2003, vol. 85 no. 4, pp. 914-927
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Maureen Kilkenny & Sonya Kostova Huffman, 2003. "Rural/Urban Welfare Program and Labor Force Participation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 914-927.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wu, Xuming & Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Golan, Amos, 2004.
"Government Policy Effects on Urban and Rural Income Inequality,"
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series
qt1111d59t, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Wu, Ximing & Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Golan, Amos, 2004. "Government Policy Effects on Urban and Rural Income Inequality," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt863448h5, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Wu, Ximing & Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Golan, Amos, 2004. "Government policy effects on urban and rural income inequality," CUDARE Working Paper Series 0976, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Maureen Kilkenny, 2010. "Urban/Regional Economics And Rural Development," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 449-470.
- Fisher, Monica G. & Foster, Kenneth A., 2004. "Measuring The Effect Of Rural Residence On Individual Employment Outcomes: Is Rural Residence Endogenous?," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19928, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Gorton, Matthew & Sauer, Johannes & Supatpongkul, Pajaree, 2009. "Investigating Thai Shopping Behaviour: Wet-Markets, Supermarkets and Food Quality," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland 51054, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Leigh Simmons & Bonnie Braun & David Wright & Scott Miller, 2007. "Human Capital, Social Support, and Economic Well-being among Rural, Low-income Mothers: A Latent Growth Curve Analysis," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 635-652, December.
- Elena G. Irwin & Andrew M. Isserman & Maureen Kilkenny & Mark D. Partridge, 2010. "A Century of Research on Rural Development and Regional Issues," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(2), pages 522-553.
- Leigh Simmons & Elizabeth Dolan & Bonnie Braun, 2007. "Rhetoric and Reality of Economic Self-sufficiency Among Rural, Low-Income Mothers: A Longitudinal Study," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 489-505, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.