Two-Period Cycles in a Three-Period Overlapping Generations Model
AbstractWe study the properties of two-period monetary cycles in simple pure exchange overlapping generations economies in which the households live for three periods. We demonstrate that these economies can support cycles under a much broader -- and, arguably, more plausible -- range of assumptions than the analogous two-period economies. We show that economies that fail the well-known Grandmont  condition can have cycles, and that economies that satisfy the condition can fail to have cycles. In addition, we show that economies can have monetary cycles when they do not have conventional monetary steady states, and when aggregate demand for assets is not decreasing in the real return rate at a gross real rate of unity.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 10250.
Date of creation: 05 Mar 2002
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Economic Theory, April 2003, vol. 109 no. 2, pp. 378-401
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Bhattacharya, Joydeep & Russell, Steven, 2003. "Two-period cycles in a three-period overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 378-401, April.
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- E40 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Azariadis, Costas, 1981. "Self-fulfilling prophecies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 380-396, December.
- Spear, Stephen E., 1984. "Sufficient conditions for the existence of sunspot equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 360-370, December.
- Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1983. "Do Sunspots Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 193-227, April.
- Robert E. Hall, 1988.
"Intertemporal Substitution in Consumption,"
NBER Working Papers
0720, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reichlin, Pietro, 1992.
"Endogenous cycles with long-lived agents,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 243-266, April.
- Boldrin, Michele & Woodford, Michael, 1990.
"Equilibrium models displaying endogenous fluctuations and chaos : A survey,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 189-222, March.
- Michele Boldrin & Michael Woodford, 1988. "Equilibruim Models Displaying Endogenous Fluctuations and Chaos: A Survey," UCLA Economics Working Papers 530, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Benhabib, Jess & Day, Richard H., 1982. "A characterization of erratic dynamics in, the overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 37-55, November.
- James Bullard, 1992. "Samuelson's model of money with n-period lifetimes," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 67-82.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1988.
"Can there be short-period deterministic cycles when people are long lived?,"
114, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Aiyagari, S Rao, 1989. "Can There Be Short-Period Deterministic Cycles When People Are Long Lived?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(1), pages 163-85, February.
- Azariadis, Costas & Guesnerie, Roger, 1986. "Sunspots and Cycles," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(5), pages 725-37, October.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1985. "On Endogenous Competitive Business Cycles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 995-1045, September.
- James Peck, 1986.
"On the Existence of Sunspot Equilibria in an Overlapping Generations Model,"
678, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Peck, James, 1988. "On the existence of sunspot equilibria in an overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 19-42, February.
- Reichlin Pietro, 1997. "Endogenous Cycles in Competitive Models: An Overview," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 1(4), pages 1-13, January.
- Bullard, James & Russell, Steven, 1999. "An empirically plausible model of low real interest rates and unbacked government debt," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 477-508, December.
- Simonovits, Andras, 1999. "Are there cycles in realistic overlapping cohorts models?," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 261-275, June.
- Barnett, Richard C. & Bhattacharya, Joydeep, 2006.
"Rejuveniles and Growth,"
Staff General Research Papers
12653, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- D'ALBIS Hippolyte & AUGERAUD-VERON Emmanuelle, 2007.
"Endogenous Retirement and Monetary Cycles,"
LERNA Working Papers
07.14.235, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Bunzel, Helle, 2006.
"Habit persistence, money, and overlapping generations,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 2425-2445, December.
- Bunzel, Helle, 2006. "Habit Persistence, Money, and Overlapping Generations," Staff General Research Papers 12405, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hueth, Brent & Ibarburu, Maro & Kliebenstein, James, 2006.
"Business Organization and Coordination in Marketing Specialty Hogs: A Comparative Analysis of Two Firms from Iowa,"
Staff General Research Papers
11328, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Brent Hueth & Maro Ibarburu & James Kliebenstein, 2005. "Business Organization and Coordination in Marketing Specialty Hogs: A Comparative Analysis of Two Firms from Iowa," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 05-wp415, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Hennessy, David A. & Lapan, Harvey E., 2004. "Market Cycles for a Non-Storable Product Under Adjustment Costs," Staff General Research Papers 12208, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Koskela, Erkki & Puhakka, Mikko, 2007. "Stone-Geary preferences in overlapping generations economies under pure exchange: A note," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 976-982, December.
- Orrego, Fabrizio, 2011. "Habit formation and sunspots in overlapping generations models," Working Papers 2011-013, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Peck, James & Spear, Stephen E., 2003. "Introduction to a Festschrift for Karl Shell," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 153-155, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.