Beiträge der Neuen Institutionenökonomik zum Innovationsmanagement - Von der Ausgestaltung der Intellectual Property Rights zur Aneignung von Innovationserträgen
AbstractThe New Institutional Economics made various contributions to the field of innovation management. Two specific areas of contribution are highlighted in this paper. The discussion of intellectual property protection starts with the classical concept of balancing the incentives to create new ideas against the benefits of society from disseminating these ideas. Whenever innovation processes become interactive and cumulative strong intellectual property protection may have dysfunctional effects raising the transaction costs in markets for technologies. These transaction costs play an important role in the second discussion addressed in the paper, which deals with the appropriability mechanisms of innovators. Starting with the strategies of innovating firms to obtain economic returns from their innovations the analysis ultimately proceeds to the “strange” appropriability mechanisms of small innovators in open source software development.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU) in its series Working Papers with number 0037.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in: Zeitschrift für betriebswirtschaftliche Forschung( ZfbF) Sonderheft 54/06, S. 58-85.
Intellectual Property Rights; Tragedy of the Anticommons; Appropriability Mechanisms; Open Source;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- K11 - Law and Economics - - Basic Areas of Law - - - Property Law
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IBW IT).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.