Different higher education patterns of topmanagers in the U.S., France, and Germany. A signaling approach
AbstractThe paper presents an economic explanation of country-specific higher education patterns among topmanagers based on a signaling approach. Starting from Ar-row’s hypothesis that higher education functions as a filter for human capital, we discuss three alternative filter-designs, which can be attributed to the higher education systems of the U.S., France and Germany. An empirical investigation of the educational paths of topmanagers in these countries reveals that these high potentials indeed behaved according to the signaling requirements following from the country-specific filter-design.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU) in its series Working Papers with number 0022.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Temin, Peter, 1999. "The Stability of the American Business Elite," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(2), pages 189-209, June.
- Egon P. Franck & Bruno Schönfelder, 2000. "On The Role Of Competition In Higher Education – Uses And Abuses Of The Economic Metaphor," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 52(3), pages 214-237, July.
- Baade, Robert A. & Sundberg, Jeffrey O., 1996. "What determines alumni generosity?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 75-81, February.
- Gordon C. Winston, 1999. "Subsidies, Hierarchy and Peers: The Awkward Economics of Higher Education," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(1), pages 13-36, Winter.
- Arrow, Kenneth J., 1973. "Higher education as a filter," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 193-216, July.
- Lazonick, William, 2006. "Corporate Governance, Innovative Enterprise, and Economic Development," Working Paper Series RP2006/71, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IBW IT).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.