Performance of European Airports: Regulation, Ownership and Managerial Efficiency
AbstractThis paper analyzes regulation, ownership and unobserved managerial ability as factors affecting the performance of a representative sample of European airports by means of frontier models. The Alvarez, Arias and Greene (2004) frontier model is used. These airports are ranked according to their technical efficiency during the period 2001-2004 and homogenous and heterogeneous variables are disentangled in the cost function, which leads us to advise the implementation of common policies as well as policies by segments. Economic implications arising from the study are also considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon in its series Working Papers Department of Economics with number 2008/25.
Date of creation: Apr 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, University of Lisbon, Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBON, PORTUGAL
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
Europe; airports; stochastic frontier models; regulation; ownership and unobserved managerial ability.;
Other versions of this item:
- Rui Cunha Marques & Carlos Pestana Barros, 2011. "Performance of European airports: regulation, ownership and managerial efficiency," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 29-37.
- NEP-ALL-2008-05-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2008-05-17 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2008-05-17 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-REG-2008-05-17 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Achim Czerny, 2006. "Price-cap Regulation of Airports: Single-till Versus Dual-till," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 85-97, 07.
- Chesher, Andrew D, 1984. "Testing for Neglected Heterogeneity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 865-72, July.
- Avkiran, Necmi K. & Rowlands, Terry, 2008. "How to better identify the true managerial performance: State of the art using DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 317-324, April.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana, 2008. "Technical efficiency of UK airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 175-178.
- Kaparakis, Emmanuel I & Miller, Stephen M & Noulas, Athanasios G, 1994. "Short-Run Cost Inefficiency of Commercial Banks: A Flexible Stochastic Frontier Approach," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(4), pages 875-93, November.
- Carlos Pestana Barros, 2008. "The Technical Efficiency of UK Airports," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/10, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Crew, Michael A & Kleindorfer, Paul R, 1996. "Incentive Regulation in the United Kingdom and the United States: Some Lessons," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 211-25, May.
- Zhang, Yin-Fang & Kirkpatrick, Colin & Parker, David, 2002.
"Electricity Sector Reform in Developing Countries: An Econometric Assessment of the Effects of Privatisation, Competition and Regulation,"
Centre on Regulation and Competition (CRC) Working papers
30593, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Yin-Fang Zhang & David Parker & Colin Kirkpatrick, 2008. "Electricity sector reform in developing countries: an econometric assessment of the effects of privatization, competition and regulation," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 159-178, April.
- Bill Greene with Antonio Alvarez (Univ. of Oviedo) & Carlos Arias (Univ. of Leon), 2004.
"Accounting For Unobservables In Production Models: Management And Inefficiency,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
341, Econometric Society.
- Antonio Álvarez & Carlos Arias & William Greene, 2004. "Accounting for unobservables in production models:management and inefficiency," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/72, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Basso, Leonardo J., 2008. "Airport deregulation: Effects on pricing and capacity," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 1015-1031, July.
- Kenneth Train, 2003.
"Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation,"
Online economics textbooks,
SUNY-Oswego, Department of Economics, number emetr2.
- Yoshida, Yuichiro & Fujimoto, Hiroyoshi, 2004. "Japanese-airport benchmarking with the DEA and endogenous-weight TFP methods: testing the criticism of overinvestment in Japanese regional airports," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 533-546, November.
- Chesher, Andrew & Santos Silva, J M C, 2002.
"Taste Variation in Discrete Choice Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(1), pages 147-68, January.
- Cornes,Richard, 1992. "Duality and Modern Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521336017, December.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana, 2008. "Technical change and productivity growth in airports: A case study," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(5), pages 818-832, June.
- Yoshida, Yuichiro, 2004. "Endogenous-weight TFP measurement: methodology and its application to Japanese-airport benchmarking," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 151-182, March.
- Sarkis, Joseph & Talluri, Srinivas, 2004. "Performance based clustering for benchmarking of US airports," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 329-346, June.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2001. "Relative efficiency of European airports," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 183-192, July.
- Littlechild Stephen, 2003. "Reflections on Incentive Regulation," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(4), pages 1-27, December.
- William Roy & Anne Yvrande-Billon, 2007. "Ownership, Contractual Practices and Technical Efficiency: The Case of Urban Public Transport in France," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 41(2), pages 257-282, May.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Dieke, Peter U.C., 2008. "Measuring the economic efficiency of airports: A Simar-Wilson methodology analysis," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(6), pages 1039-1051, November.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2003. "Inefficiencies and scale economies of European airport operations," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 341-361, September.
- Marques, Rui Cunha & Brochado, Ana, 2008. "Airport regulation in Europe: Is there need for a European Observatory?," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 163-172, May.
- Mefford, Robert N, 1986. "Introducing Management into the Production Function," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(1), pages 96-104, February.
- Pavlyuk, Dmitry, 2009. "Spatial competition for passengers and its influence on efficiency of European airports," MPRA Paper 16930, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pavlyuk, Dmitry, 2012. "Airport Benchmarking and Spatial Competition: a Critical Review," MPRA Paper 43391, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maria del Pilar Baquero Forero & Toshifumi Kuroda & Takanori Ida, 2010. "Cultural determinants of countries management efficiency:A random coefficients stochastic frontier approach," Discussion papers e-10-012, Graduate School of Economics Project Center, Kyoto University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.