Structural changes and external vulnerabilities in the Brazilian economy: 1995-2009
AbstractFrom the 1990s, the reorientation of the development model, which switched from protective of industrial sector to intensifier of the trade liberalization process, brought the need for reorganization of large productive sectors of the Brazilian economy, were openly forced to face global competitors, within the established international conditions. Thus, during the 1990s, the Brazilian economy experienced a period of fast and deep changes, combining the process of intensification of trade liberalization with a view of industrial and technological policy which combines sectoral and systemic dimension, with privatization of important sectors of the economy (such as electricity and telecommunications sectors), and a stabilization program (Real Plan), based on a fixed exchange rate, with important effects on the whole economy. This article aims to assess the evolution of external vulnerability and structural changes in terms of generating value added in the Brazilian economy in the period 1995-2009, subdivided into three sub-periods, namely 1995-2000, 2000-2005 and 2005 -2009, by means of a novel treatment of the inter-sectoral output multipliers. The data base was the annual input- output matrices from Brazil for 1995, 2000, 2005 and 2009, structured into 42 sectors. The main results indicated a very satisfactory behavior of the national economy over time, with a predominance of positive gains in the ability to generate value added and lower imports of intermediate inputs by the most technologically advanced industries and by services, and fewer losses and greater external dependence for the minority of sectors, particularly in recent years.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon in its series Working Papers Department of Economics with number 2013/13.
Date of creation: Jul 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, University of Lisbon, Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBON, PORTUGAL
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
Structural changes; external vulnerabilities; regional economy.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-05 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Oosterhaven & Dirk Stelder, 2002. "Net Multipliers Avoid Exaggerating Impacts: With A Bi-Regional Illustration for the Dutch Transportation Sector," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 533-543.
- João Ferreira do Amaral & João Carlos Lopes & João Dias, 2010.
"External dependency, value added generation and structural change: an interindustry approach,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2010/12, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- João Ferreira do Amaral & João Carlos Lopes & João Dias, 2011. "External dependency, value added generation and structural change: an inter-industry approach," Notas Económicas, Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 33, pages 06-19, June.
- Cella, Guido, 1984. "The Input-Output Measurement of Interindustry Linkages," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 46(1), pages 73-84, February.
- Guilhoto, J. J. M. & Sesso Filho, U. A., 2005.
"Estimação da Matriz Insumo-Produto a Partir De Dados Preliminares das Contas Nacionais
[Estimation of input-output matrix using preliminary data from national accounts]," MPRA Paper 38212, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlos Henrique L. Corseuil & Miguel N. Foguel, 2011. "Expansão Econômica e Aumento da Formalização das Relações de Trabalho: Uma Abordagem Através das Contratações," Discussion Papers 1571, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Cacciamali, Maria Cristina, 2000. "Globalização e processo de informalidade," Revista Economia e Sociedade, Instituto de Economia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP), vol. 14, pages 22, January.
- Guilhoto, J. J. M. & Sonis, M. & Hewings, G. J. D., 2005. "Linkages and Multipliers in a Multiregional Framework: Integration of Alternative Approaches," MPRA Paper 38213, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.