Spatial Cournot Oligopoly with Vertical Linkages
AbstractThis paper examines the equilibrium of location of N vertically-linked firms. In a spatial economy composed of two regions, a monopolist firm supplies an input to N consumer goods firms that compete in quantities. It was concluded that, when there are increases in the transport cost of the input, downstream firms prefer to agglomerate in the region where the upstream firm is located, in order to obtain savings in the production cost. On the other hand, increases in the general transport cost or in the number of downstream firms lead to a dispersion of these firms, in order to reduce competition and locate closer to the final consumer.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon in its series Working Papers Department of Economics with number 2005/11.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, University of Lisbon, Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBON, PORTUGAL
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
Agglomeration; Intermediate Goods; Spatial Oligopoly.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R30 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - General
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-09-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2005-09-29 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-GEO-2005-09-29 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-IND-2005-09-29 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2005-09-29 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-URE-2005-09-29 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fujita, Masahisa & Hamaguchi, Nobuaki, 2001. "Intermediate goods and the spatial structure of an economy," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 79-109, February.
- Paul Belleflamme & Eric Toulemonde, 2000.
"Product Differentiation in Successive Vertical Oligopolies,"
421, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Paul Belleflamme & Eric Toulemonde, 2003. "Product differentiation in successive vertical oligopolies," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(3), pages 523-545, August.
- BELLEFLAMME, Paul & TOULEMONDE, Eric, . "Product differentiation in successive vertical oligopolies," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1720, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:ner:louvai:info:hdl:2078/17014 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mayer, T., 1999.
"Spatial Cournot Competition and Heterogeneous Production Costs Across Locations,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications
1999.89, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Mayer, Thierry, 2000. "Spatial Cournot competition and heterogeneous production costs across locations," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 325-352, May.
- Fujita, M. & Thisse, J.-F., .
"Economics of agglomeration,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1250, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fujita,Masahisa & Thisse,Jacques-Francois, 2002. "Economics of Agglomeration," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521801386, December.
- Fujita, Masahisa & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1996. "Economics of Agglomeration," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 339-378, December.
- Fujita,Masahisa & Thisse,Jacques-Francois, 2002. "Economics of Agglomeration," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521805247, December.
- José Pontes, 2005. "Agglomeration in a vertically-related oligopoly," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 157-169, 08.
- Mary Amiti, 1998.
"Regional Specialisation and Technological Leapfrogging,"
1998.14, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.