Efficiency and integration in European banking markets
AbstractThis paper seeks to contribute to the relatively scarce published research on the relationship between bank efficiency and European integration in the wake of the recent financial crisis. Using Stochastic Frontier Analysis and Data Envelopment Analysis approaches, the study estimates bank efficiency for different panels of European Union countries during the time period 1994-2008. The main conclusions point to the persistence of inefficiencies, which decreased with the implementation of the European Monetary Union (in the time period 2000- 2008) but then increased slightly in the most recent phase (2004-2008), during which the EU had to adapt to the new universe of 27 member-states. On the other hand, there is evidence of a convergence process, although this is very slow and not strong enough to avoid the differences in the country efficiency scores.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon in its series Working Papers Department of Economics with number 2011/08.
Date of creation: Feb 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, University of Lisbon, Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBON, PORTUGAL
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2011-03-05 (Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2011-03-05 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2011-03-05 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2002. "Exploring efficiency differences over time in the Spanish banking industry," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(3), pages 643-664, June.
- Philip Molyneux, 2013. "Performance in European Banking: Productivity, Profitability and Employment Trends," SUERF 50th Anniversary Volume Chapters, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.