The Interaction of Private Intergenerational Transfers Types
AbstractThe rapid ageing of the population, particularly in the developed world, accentuates the importance of both the family and of private intergenerational transfers, whether this be due to the longer periods of coexistence resulting from longer life expectancy or the threat posed to the very sustainability of the welfare state. While the magnitude of intergenerational transfers is well documented, and the motives underlying them have received broad attention, we focus on a much less studied topic: the way the different forms of private transfers – time, money and space - interact with each other. In order to understand the complete effects of decisions, the costs and benefits to donors and recipients of transfers, it is crucial to take into account the full set of options for family transfers. We survey the literature to ascertain current knowledge on the extent to which a) the provision of one form of intergenerational family transfer is related to the provision of another form by the same person; b) the modes adopted by different generations are interrelated. We then put forward suggestions for future research and conceptual refinement.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon in its series Working Papers Department of Economics with number 2014/03.
Date of creation: Jan 2014
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, University of Lisbon, Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBON, PORTUGAL
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
Intergenerational transfers; support; family; population ageing.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald Cox & Oded Stark, 1996. "Intergenerational Transfers and the Demonstration Effect," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 329., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kai A. Konrad & Harald Künemund & Kjell Erik Lommerud & Julio R. Robledo, 2002.
"Geography of the Family,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 981-998, September.
- Konrad, Kai A & Künemund, Harald & Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Robledo, Julio R, 1999. "Geography of the Family," CEPR Discussion Papers 2312, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Konrad, Kai A. & Künemund, Harald & Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Robledo, Julio R., 2001. "Geography of the family," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance FS IV 01-16, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Konrad, K.A. & Junemund, H. & Lommerud, K.E. & Robledo, J.R., 2000. "Geography of the Family," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 2499, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Arrondel, L. & Masson, A., 1999.
"Family Transfers Involving Three Generations,"
DELTA Working Papers
1999-16, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- William G. Gale & John Karl Scholz, 1994.
"Intergenerational Transfers and the Accumulation of Wealth,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 145-160, Fall.
- W. G. Gale & J. K. Scholz, . "Intergenerational transfers and the accumulation of wealth," Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers 1019-93, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
- William G. Gale & John Karl Scholz, 1991. "Intergenerational Transfers and the Accumulation of Wealth," UCLA Economics Working Papers 624, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Sun-Kang Koh & Maurice MacDonald, 2006. "Financial Reciprocity and Elder Care: Interdependent Resource Transfers," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 420-436, September.
- Gary S. Becker, 1974.
"A Theory of Social Interactions,"
NBER Working Papers
0042, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J., 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Kenneth Couch & Mary Daly & Douglas Wolf, 1999. "Time? money? both? the allocation of resources to older Parents," Demography, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 219-232, May.
- Frank A. Sloan & Jingshu Wang & Harold H. Zhang, 2002.
"Upstream Intergenerational Transfers,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 363-380, October.
- Chaonan Chen, 2006. "Does the Completeness of a Household-Based Convoy Matter in Intergenerational Support Exchanges?," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 79(1), pages 117-142, October.
- Cox, Donald & Rank, Mark R, 1992. "Inter-vivos Transfers and Intergenerational Exchange," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(2), pages 305-14, May.
- Sloan, Frank A & Picone, Gabriel & Hoerger, Thomas J, 1997.
"The Supply of Children's Time to Disabled Elderly Parents,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 35(2), pages 295-308, April.
- Sloan, Frank & Gabriel Picone & Thomas J. Hoerger, 1995. "The Supply of Children's Time to Disabled Elderly Parents," Working Papers 95-46, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1987.
"Intergenerational Transfers and Savings,"
NBER Working Papers
2237, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emanuela Cardia & Serena Ng, 2003. "Intergenerational Time Transfers and Childcare," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(2), pages 431-454, April.
- Lisa Keister, 2003. "Sharing the wealth: The effect of siblings on adults’ wealth ownership," Demography, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 521-542, August.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2006-13 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eric Bonsang, 2007.
"How do middle-aged children allocate time and money transfers to their older parents in Europe?,"
Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 171-188, April.
- Eric Bonsang, 2006. "How do middle-aged children allocate time and money transfers to their older parents in Europe?," CREPP Working Papers 0602, Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Lawrence H. Summers, 1980.
"The Role of Intergenerational Transfers in Aggregate Capital Accumulation,"
NBER Working Papers
0445, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kotlikoff, Laurence J & Summers, Lawrence H, 1981. "The Role of Intergenerational Transfers in Aggregate Capital Accumulation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 706-32, August.
- Ermisch, John F, 1981. "An Economic Theory of Household Formation: Theory and Evidence from the General Household Survey," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 28(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Arrondel, Luc & Masson, Andre, 2006.
"Altruism, exchange or indirect reciprocity: what do the data on family transfers show?,"
Handbook on the Economics of Giving, Reciprocity and Altruism,
- Luc Arrondel & André Masson, 2002. "Altruism, Exchange or Indirect Reciprocity: What do the Data on Family Transfers Show?," DELTA Working Papers 2002-18, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Frank Furstenberg & Saul Hoffman & Laura Shrestha, 1995. "The effect of divorce on intergenerational transfers: New evidence," Demography, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 319-333, August.
- Cigno, Alessandro, 1993. "Intergenerational transfers without altruism : Family, market and state," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 505-518, November.
- Modigliani, Franco, 1988. "The Role of Intergenerational Transfers and Life Cycle Saving in the Accumulation of Wealth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 15-40, Spring.
- Mordechai E. Schwarz, 2006. "Intergenerational Transfers: An Integrative Approach," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 8(1), pages 61-93, 01.
- Julie Zissimopoulos, 2001. "Resource Transfers to the Elderly: Do Adult Children Substitute Financial Transfers for Time Transfers?," Working Papers 01-05, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.