Competition in tourism arrivals – A multidimensional index of geographical structural similarity
AbstractGiven the economic importance of the tourism sector, countries actively compete for attracting tourism flows. In a bilateral perspective, an important determinant of the degree of competition is the geographical structure of tourism inflows, i.e., the relative importance of the different source countries. A higher overlap of these flows indicates greater competition. The goal of the present study is to propose a methodological approach to quantify this overlap. Taking some indicators traditionally used in international trade analysis as inspiration, we propose a methodology that measures, for each pair of countries, the degree of similarity between the geographical structures of tourism inflows. The methodology takes a multidimensional concept of structural similarity in order to incorporate relevant dimensions of international tourism flows today.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ISCTE-IUL, Business Research Unit (BRU-IUL) in its series Working Papers Series 2 with number 13-05.
Date of creation: 26 Jul 2013
Date of revision:
Tourism flows; Arrivals; Geographical similarity; Competitiveness; Index;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2013-08-05 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-GEO-2013-08-05 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INT-2013-08-05 (International Trade)
- NEP-TUR-2013-08-05 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicole Palan, 2010. "Measurement of Specialization – The Choice of Indices," FIW Working Paper series 062, FIW.
- Gillian Bristow, 2005. "Everyone's a 'winner': problematising the discourse of regional competitiveness," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(3), pages 285-304, June.
- Rhys Jenkins, 2008. "Measuring the Competitive Threat from China for other Southern Exporters," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(10), pages 1351-1366, October.
- Maria Paula Fontoura & Nuno Crespo, 2004.
"Integration of CEECs into EU Markets: Structural Change and Convergence,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2004/15, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2007. "Integration of CEECs into EU Market: Structural Change and Convergence," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45, pages 611-632, 09.
- Luca Benedictis & Lucia Tajoli, 2007.
"Economic integration and similarity in trade structures,"
Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 117-137, April.
- Lucia Tajoli & Lucia De Benedictis, 2006. "Economic Integration and Similarity in Trade Structures," Working Papers 2006.54, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Crespo, Nuno & Simões, Nádia, 2012. "On the measurement of a multidimensional concept of structural similarity," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 115-117.
- Crouch, Geoffrey I. & Ritchie, J. R. Brent, 1999. "Tourism, Competitiveness, and Societal Prosperity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 137-152, March.
- M. Thea Sinclair, 1998. "Tourism and economic development: A survey," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 1-51.
- Palan, Nicole & Schmiedeberg, Claudia, 2010. "Structural convergence of European countries," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 85-100, May.
- Martin Lusticky, 2011. "Benchmarking As A Quality Enhancement Method Of Regional Planning In Tourism," Journal of Global Management, Global Research Agency, vol. 2(1), pages 1-11, July.
- Jay Squalli & Kenneth Wilson & Sarah Hugo, 2008. "An analysis of growth competitiveness," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 105-126.
- Kirovska, Zanina, 2011. "Strategic Management Within The Tourism And The World Globalization," UTMS Journal of Economics, University of Tourism and Management, Skopje, Macedonia, vol. 2(1), pages 69-76.
- Luigi DUMITRESCU & Simona VINEREAN, 2010. "International Tourism Market Segmentation Based on Consumer Behavior," REVISTA DE MANAGEMENT COMPARAT INTERNATIONAL/REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL COMPARATIVE MANAGEMENT, Faculty of Management, Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, Romania, vol. 11(5), pages 757-763, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Henrique Monteiro).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.